How to make my 07 yzf450 corner better?

11 replies to this topic
  • cmcsocal74

Posted May 30, 2011 - 10:08 AM

Hello TT , I would like know what i can do to make my 2007 yzf 450 turn better...i ride mostly calif desert some track in summer.... I seem to have problems chasing my bros at a pretty deccent pace then when we hit hard turns Im always pushed high, same thing when going through some what tricky rocky stuff. maybe it just me but from what Iv herd the yz dont really turn that great, any input would be much appreciated.... Thanks TT

• Aka.Goose

Posted May 30, 2011 - 03:40 PM

For me:
1. Raise the forks in the clamps (I have about 6-8mm showing, some guys go up to 10mm)
2. Offset triples (Applied Racing 24mm rubber mount)
3. Smart Performance suspension service (I'm 200lbs, so heavier springs, different oil)
4. Dunlop MX51 tires
Corners better than my ability will allow it to...

• RiderX

Posted May 30, 2011 - 04:01 PM

Correct spring rate and sag are important.

• Family Man

Posted May 31, 2011 - 06:30 AM

feathering the brakes with gas on, helps.

• Mr. Neutron

Posted May 31, 2011 - 07:48 AM

feathering the brakes with gas on, helps.

+1! :smirk: (Along with the "nuts-on-the-gas-cap" deal)

All of the above will hlep, whether there's a berm or not.......

Jimmie

Edited by Diesel Goober, May 31, 2011 - 12:15 PM.

• Hurricane

Posted May 31, 2011 - 10:19 AM

My turns great with the forks high in the clamps and a good set up of Michelin tires. I think it steers better with the rear wheel!:smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RiderX

Posted May 31, 2011 - 10:39 AM

Mine steers good to. I have my forks kind of high- about 13mm up in the triple clamps and the sag set at 105mm.

• Polar_Bus

Posted May 31, 2011 - 11:26 AM

Hello TT , I would like know what i can do to make my 2007 yzf 450 turn better...i ride mostly calif desert some track in summer.... I seem to have problems chasing my bros at a pretty deccent pace then when we hit hard turns Im always pushed high, same thing when going through some what tricky rocky stuff. maybe it just me but from what Iv herd the yz dont really turn that great, any input would be much appreciated.... Thanks TT

The '07's did suffer from some front end "push" . I never noticed it as an issue until I spent severall laps on my buddies '09 . I ended up adding a Scotts steering stabilizer, which then allowed me to aggresively slide the forks another 1/4" up into the trees. You can do this on a bike that has no steering stabilizer, but the downside of sliding the forks up is that you tend to gain unwanted headshake at higher speeds. many guys here also had excellent results using aftermarket optional offset triple trees. Do some searching on offset triple trees. Great knowledge.

• cmcsocal74

Posted June 02, 2011 - 06:21 PM

THANKS TT.... gonna try raising my forks, right now there at 4MM....just what i whanted to here..

Posted Image

• idahoexcr500

Posted June 03, 2011 - 12:00 PM

Had issues with my 07 not turning well for a while. I am 185 lbs WO gear, Forks raised 5mm from top of top triple clamp. Rebound and Comp 2 clicks softer than standard settings. Really helps the front end to settle lower in turns. Shock, using MXA settings. Sag is critical on these bikes. I have found 95mm to be the best, good stability and turning. I also run MX51 tires. The rear is great but mixed feelings for the front. I think a 756 would still be better. Many have said that running Windham bend bars makes a difference in turning too. Maybe I'll try them if I bend the stockers. I also run my bars fairly far forward. Biggest things that helped the turning were softening the forks and sag at 95mm. Also, these bikes like to steer with the rear wheel more like a 2 stroke.
Hope this helps

• freestyle250

Posted August 03, 2016 - 05:39 AM

Throw an 18" rear wheel off a WR on there with a 110 rear tire. Bumps and washboard are more noticeable, but cornering is better.

• ttreewalkerr

Posted August 04, 2016 - 11:06 AM

I got mine 15mm up in clamps, and when I crank it on straight I have to slide back to get rear down to compensate for no front bar shake. All at the cost of Turning like a dream.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.