10 yz450f or 11 yz 250 2 stroke?

16 replies to this topic
  • jer500

Posted May 29, 2011 - 09:35 AM

hey guys need some help im going to get a new bike next weekend and im stuck between a 11 yz250 and a 10 yz450f im trading my 04 in on it and 2k and financing the rest im stuck becuase im a big fan of the yz 250 ive ridden a ton of them the newest one an 07 and i own a yz450f a 2004 and have ridden only two of them mine and an 06, i ride single track enduro/gncc type riding and ive heard that the new 450 has offroad issues and ive also heard that the 11 yz 250 has a new exaust system that restricts it more than previous years. please help me decide and let me know the issues with both thanks!

• scottiesbe

Posted May 29, 2011 - 09:44 AM

hey guys need some help im going to get a new bike next weekend and im stuck between a 11 yz250 and a 10 yz450f im trading my 04 in on it and 2k and financing the rest im stuck becuase im a big fan of the yz 250 ive ridden a ton of them the newest one an 07 and i own a yz450f a 2004 and have ridden only two of them mine and an 06, i ride single track enduro/gncc type riding and ive heard that the new 450 has offroad issues and ive also heard that the 11 yz 250 has a new exaust system that restricts it more than previous years. please help me decide and let me know the issues with both thanks!

There is pretty good article in the june issue of dirt bike mag. They say that the yz250 is an awsome offroad bike despite the fact it has not changed since 06. One fanatic has over 700 hours on his 09 & it is still goin strong!

• brentn

Posted May 29, 2011 - 11:09 AM

I was torn like you when I bought my bike. I finally jumped on the yz450 cause of the fuel injection, for the trails this is such an awesome feature. No more flooding, no more fouling plugs.
WHen I got the bike I noticed that it had quite a bit more power as well, and it was very well balanced for a 4 stroke, did not feel top heavy at all. I use it for trails and it's done me very well, I don't think I could ever go back to a two stroke.
I was coming off of a 2005 yz250 btw.

Just my two cents.

• jer500

Posted May 29, 2011 - 11:49 AM

did you go all stock on the 450 or have any work done??? ive owned a few yamaha 2 strokes loved them and am on a yamaha 450 now and i love it also the new yz450 just looks to futuristic to hack it in the woods let alone last fuel wise

• YamaLink

Posted May 29, 2011 - 03:46 PM

Kind of a win-win. Depends on how much you plan to ride/race, if you do your own maintenance and what your riding style is.

Point and shoot? 450.
Berm seeking momentum freak? Two Stroke.
Race for hours on end? I'd go with a 250 YZ especially in the mud and ruts, but I know many who like the "balance" and torque of the big bike.

• Yamiryder

Posted May 29, 2011 - 04:32 PM

Just close your eyes and pick one:smirk: both great choices and you really can't go wrong.

• Troutman

Posted May 29, 2011 - 07:29 PM

I would get neither in a 2010-11 model, for the woods I would go with the YZ 250 but I would not buy a new one. One of the good things about the YZ 250 is that it has not really changed for the last 5 or 6 years and you could find a great used one for half the price. So you could sell your old bike on craigslist for more than you would get in trade-in value as well as save the financing burden you would take on in getting a new bike. You then could use the additional cash to turn it into the ultimate woods racing machine set up for you. If you were riding MX it would be a no-brainer to go for the 10-11 YZF. Just MHO :smirk:

• Myride05Kx250

Posted May 30, 2011 - 06:41 AM

Jer...this is a no brainer. Check out this link before you pull the trigger. I ride a KX 250. Buying any 4 stroke is no different than walking out into a mine field. articles.superhunky.com/4/106

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Myride05Kx250

Posted May 30, 2011 - 06:44 AM

www.articles.superhunky.com/4/106

• 2strokeDude

Posted May 30, 2011 - 06:46 AM

The 250 is a great woods bike. Many pro offroad riders race them and I personally will always have a yz250. I haven't done much research on the 450 but the design looks like it will do better in the woods than on the track. You will probally need a bigger tank though.

• carver

Posted May 30, 2011 - 07:26 AM

im stuck between a 11 yz250 and a 10 yz450f im trading my 04 in on it and 2k and financing the rest im stuck becuase im a big fan of the yz 250 ive ridden a ton of them the newest one an 07 and i own a yz450f a 2004 and have ridden only two of them mine and an 06, i ride single track enduro/gncc type riding and ive heard that the new 450 has offroad issues and ive also heard that the 11 yz 250 has a new exaust system that restricts it more than previous years. please help me decide and let me know the issues with both thanks!

This is a good question and one that lots of people prob. consider.
I have some experience on the YZ250 2T v. the YZ450 (08) v. the KTM530 (09) and
did a write up of the YZ250 2T v. the KTM530 awhile back (below links) and much of it
applies to the 250 2T vs. 10+ YZ450 too imho. The exhaust change you mentioned on the 250
is a non-issue restriction wise (longer straight silencer) and is quieter which is a benefit imho.
You'll probably want a spark arrestor anyway which will delete the new silencer.

The main differences between the 10+ 450 and the 530 are the 450 tight gearing, lack of flywheel weight,
fuel capacity, MX valved suspension and fuel injection. One poster above mentioned YZ250 2T flooding and fouling.
A properly setup YZ250 2T should do neither. When tuned properly, they
actually start easier than the 4T's. I haven't fouled a plug in the last 3 years on my YZ250 and
it always starts 1-2 kicks even if on a steep slope. Conversely, if you do lots of significant
elevation and temperature changes, the injection will be nice v. rejetting.

From a skill/aggressiveness perspective I'd rank the 450 right between the two
with the 250 rewarding aggressiveness and the 530 being the easiest.
That said, I wouldn't hesitate to put a tank/flywheel/revalve on a '10+ 450 and use it for
off road/MX over a YZ250 2T, but I prefer the more lightweight/aggressive feel of the two stroke.
Simply a subjective, preference thing. They're both great if setup for the conditions properly.
Additionally, a '10+ 450 without a flywheel and with the stock tank range would be frustrating
for off road because of the limitations. My experience with the 450 showed
it didn't like to bog down with the stock flywheel and would flameout sometimes if bogged.
Easily remedied with a FW, but high compression and light flywheels don't like low revs.
As you can see, everything is in the setup that suits your particular riding/preferences/terrain.
Hopefully the contrasts in the writeup help.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Edited by carver, May 30, 2011 - 09:35 AM.

• jer500

Posted May 30, 2011 - 11:08 AM

yes fuel was my primary issue on the 450, ive owned yz's and 2 wr two strokes and loved them but ive never owned a brand new never ridden bike so im def going to get a new one i like the engine in my current 04 450 is it the same as the new 450? aside from non efi

• shrubitup

Posted May 30, 2011 - 11:26 AM

Just go a get a KTM since Yamaha doesn't make a purpose-built woods bike. :smirk:

Uh huh. :smirk:

I personally would have a hard time spending that much cash on a new YZ250 since difference between 06 model is minimal and certainly not worth all the extra coin.

Which bike do you generally prefer the most? Once you define that - buy it and mod it to suit.

• carver

Posted May 30, 2011 - 12:40 PM

Just go a get a KTM since Yamaha doesn't make a purpose-built woods bike. :smirk:

Uh huh. :smirk:

Although I've seen others say that, nobody is saying it in this thread.

yes fuel was my primary issue on the 450, ive owned yz's and 2 wr two strokes and loved them but ive never owned a brand new never ridden bike so im def going to get a new one i like the engine in my current 04 450 is it the same as the new 450? aside from non efi

The only thing I've seen engine wise that would be different from your '04
and affect you in single track/woods is a more sensitive throttle at low speed.
Can be corrected though with the Injectioneering mod and somewhat with the tuner
although the tuner method might carry over to other areas you didn't want to change.
Other than that, and getting the larger fuel tank, it has the same MX gearing/FWW issues
(although it's a 5sp.) as your '04 for off road so, if you like that, you should be happy with it.
Rick Johnson at TooTech suspension was a little concerned about the pipe cooking the
shock oil on long off road rides, but haven't seen anyone really notice a damping issue.
Haven't seen any FI reliability related issues either so get the 450 if you like your '04.

Edited by carver, May 30, 2011 - 01:59 PM.

• 2strokenut

Posted May 30, 2011 - 12:48 PM

I was torn like you when I bought my bike. I finally jumped on the yz450 cause of the fuel injection, for the trails this is such an awesome feature. No more flooding, no more fouling plugs.
WHen I got the bike I noticed that it had quite a bit more power as well, and it was very well balanced for a 4 stroke, did not feel top heavy at all. I use it for trails and it's done me very well, I don't think I could ever go back to a two stroke.
I was coming off of a 2005 yz250 btw.

Just my two cents.

LOL who floods their bike and fouls plugs?

• shrubitup

Posted May 30, 2011 - 01:03 PM

Although I've seen others say that, nobody is saying it in this thread.

yet. :smirk:

• carver

Posted May 30, 2011 - 01:15 PM

Oh, you're talking about the orange kiko's...... i lol'd
At least the orange kiko's weren't dense enough to post pics
of them riding in tennis shoes with no gloves through the bush.....
That was just too funny.....
sorry for the drift.......
Back ot, jer if the '10 has the old VC gasket, you'll want to change it
to the new one # 33D-11193-01-00 to prevent it from splitting and leaking.
Should be happy with it, enjoy the new bike.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.