Trottle hesitation and carb cleaning

3 replies to this topic
  • mchur

Posted May 28, 2011 - 03:18 PM

Hey newby question but recently bought 04 wr450 that seems to idle fine but hestitates on acceleration and seems to run a little rough. The guy I bought it from said it has sat for 2 years. It seems to be in great shape and I am currently running some carb cleaner through it. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

• JDLowrance

Posted May 28, 2011 - 04:10 PM

Drop bowl and clean or replace main and pilot. While you're in there wouldn't hurt to clean out accelerator pump passages in cover and carb with contact cleaner.

Mike 09 sat for 2.5 months while collar bone healed from SM get-off and the accelerator pump passages got clogged even though i drained fuel from float bowl. This happens becuase fuel still resides in accelerator pump resivoir.

I've run a tank ful of fuel with Lucas injector cleaner mixed in and it seems to have cleaned out the passages. If it'd have sat for 2 years I doubt htat would've worked.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mchur

Posted May 28, 2011 - 04:43 PM

Thanks I will give that a try.. Im guessing dropping the bowl on the WR is about the same as the CRF I got rid of.. fairly simple?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 28, 2011 - 06:45 PM

-Don't use automotive carb cleaner or you will damage rubber parts.
-Change the leak jet to 50.
-Replace the accelerator pump diaphragm; It goes bad if it sits in bad gas for a while.
-Replace the pilot jet with a new one.
- If it has stock jetting, you should get a JD Jet kit.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.