06 YZ450f Overheating, stalling?

10 replies to this topic
  • McCallHoser

Posted May 28, 2011 - 03:14 PM

I have a 2006 YZ that seems to get really hot, then stalls. I ride mostly single track, first gear slow stuff. 5000-8000ft elevation.

Once it stalls it tough to start. Hit or miss with the hot start.

Goes through a bunch of coolant. Need to add 6-10oz per ride. I don't think there are any leaks but....

Has fresh motor (2 rides), jetted correctly (by local shop), carbs completely gone through. The bike rips for a while then wants to stall. If I pull in the clutch for a few seconds, it stalls. Really need to stay on the gas for it to keep running once its hot.

Also has a big gas tank on it. Can these affect cooling?

Air temp has been cool (50ish)

Kind of a pain when it stalls in the rocks!:smirk:

• yz450fcranker

Posted May 28, 2011 - 06:35 PM

yz450f cant stay in first gear slow stuff for more than 5 minutes they want 30mph on fourth every 5 minutes

• McCallHoser

Posted May 28, 2011 - 07:00 PM

It has also been geared down and has a heavier flywheel weight.

• sledtrash

Posted May 28, 2011 - 08:32 PM

Get an aftermarket water pump this is gear driven off of the crank the speed of the water pump depends on the RPM. After market pump's increase flow.

• shrubitup

Posted May 28, 2011 - 08:49 PM

Cover that clutch in the tech. Focus on keeping the motor running and then technique and then speed in that order. I read all about thumpers overheating and puking coolant when I rode smokers but my YZ250F don't overheat on the tight slow trails. Must be 450 related.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Octanee

Posted May 28, 2011 - 10:48 PM

well, funny i had almost the same issues, but i ride single track with my 06 yz450f, but basically one when it got hot it would yeah basically start to spew out some coolant... one day it decided to that bad, so now im low on coolant so i thought i was still fine as it usually dont leak that much, well i was wrong there.... long story short on that... new valve seals,

now to the point, fix it, chances are is your seals on your water pump, replace your seals and water pump shaft, what it turned out to be on my bike is there is the 1 bold that holds down the metal Y that comes up from the pump housing, turns out it wasnt screwed in all the way due to a bolt just a bit too long, so yeah,

i got some awsome aftermarket rads for my bike, double thickness, and like double the coolant flow, it also holds some more coolant so that can help, I will include a link for you, basically they are made by CX Racing, back in the day they where 450$ for both, now they are like 60$, but yeah made with Air craft grade alluminum, hand welded, and each one inspected for leaks and so on, cx makes quality parts, and the stock rads are crap really any how.... so if you ride single track i would highly recommend buying a pair of these, its only like 120$ link to cx racing and ebay http://www.cxracing....&Category_Code= and http://cgi.ebay.ca/A...=item3a62c37703

• McCallHoser

Posted May 31, 2011 - 05:02 PM

Gonna try a 1.8 lb radiator cap and some Redline water wetter.

• shrubitup

Posted May 31, 2011 - 05:07 PM

Pilot could be lean too.

• grayracer513

Posted May 31, 2011 - 07:19 PM

That's 1.8 BAR, not psi. Your stock cap is 1.1 bar. "Bar" is a contraction of "barometric", and 1 bar is .987 of 1 atmoshpere, or 14.5 pounds.

A 1.1 bar cap is 16 psi. A 1.8 is 26.1 psi. You better be sure your hoses and radiators are up to that.

• Bobbed06

Posted June 11, 2011 - 12:25 PM

My OEM radiator cap is due for changing since it had been sitting for so many years the seal was dried out and damaged. I havent ridden the bike yet so i have no clue on how hot it will get. Question is should I use an aftermarket 1.6 bar cap

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item588e6c562e

or a stock 1.1 bar cap???

• grayracer513

Posted June 12, 2011 - 08:35 AM

1.1 bar is 16 psi, and should be adequate for most cases. If you spend a lot of time on slow, technical trails, you may benefit from the 1.6 (23 psi), but you'd better be sure your hoses, etc., are up to it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.