Can 2008 YZ250F forks be used on a 2004 YZ450F

4 replies to this topic
  • MrMXer

Posted May 28, 2011 - 05:48 AM

I have access to a set of 2008 YZ250F forks and I'd like to know if they would be an upgrade to those forks currently on my 2004 YZ450F. Nothing really wrong with my forks other than the anodizing is in rough shape.... and that I liked the action of the forks on the 08.

• grayracer513

Posted May 28, 2011 - 09:04 AM

Nothing really wrong with my forks ...

Except that they don't work very well compared to the later stuff.

Yes, you can run the '08 250 fork, BUT you will have to use the '08 triple clamps, and that might mean swapping the steering stems to get the length right, and you might have to rework the steering stops.

You would also have to use the brake caliper and master cylinder from the '08.

Spring rates would likely be too light, also, and they would need to be revalved.

Find a set from an '06-'07 YZ450 and more or less bolt the whole assembly straight on, clamps and all.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MrMXer

Posted May 28, 2011 - 07:45 PM

I figured I'd have to swap the triple clamps and all, but I am unsure about the geometry and how it would be effected.
The 08 YZ250F donor bike basically has broken cases, broken pipe, and other associated carnage from a starting line pile up. This carnage along with the fact that it needs a valve job and it's time for the crank to be replaced makes me think that it is not worth investing the cash into it. (I could essentially use it for a parts bike for my other 2 08 250 f's)
So you think I should look at the 06 or 07 450 front end instead due to geometry issues?
Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted May 29, 2011 - 10:15 AM

So you think I should look at the 06 or 07 450 front end instead due to geometry issues?

No. Other than the triple clamp and axle offset, which are the same as the '06, or the '04 for that matter, the forks have no geometry of their own. The reason I suggested the earlier set was the matter of needing the '08 front brake system to complete the swap, but as you have the entire '08 to work with, that doesn't matter. Use the fork if you want to, it will work.

The shock is also an upgrade on the '08, although not to the same extent as the fork.

• MrMXer

Posted May 30, 2011 - 04:02 AM

Thanks Grayracer - Looks like I'll be doing the swap then. I'll have to find a set of springs and valving spec's next and go from there.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.