Making my WR450 lighter.

18 replies to this topic
  • jgood

Posted August 24, 2003 - 06:44 PM

I would like to remove my battery and electric starter. Does anyone know how to make the bike function correctly without the battery? Also, will a YZ450 side cover bolt up to a WR450 case?

• crushedreams

Posted August 24, 2003 - 07:16 PM

I took the battery out but havent gotten around to taking the starter off. It is a staight forward operation. The biggest advantage to that is being able to take the airbox cover off. The YZ side cover is different. The other option is to plug the starter hole with a milled plug or freeze plug for a car engine. Yet another option is the new YFZ 450 4 wheeler is electic start but they make a kickstart conversion. I am looking into that one.
Josh

• Stunner

Posted August 24, 2003 - 08:19 PM

I removed the e-start from my bike and other than plugging the hole for the starter motor it is quite simple. I even rewired the harness to eliminate all the excess wires. Other related mods included removing the starter clutch from the flywheel which makes the bike rev quicker and replacing the airbox with the YZ model which saved close to a pound. The lighting and charging circuits are separate so you can even remove the e-start without effecting your lights.

• Poway Rider

Posted August 24, 2003 - 09:16 PM

Why didn't you guys just buy YZ450's?

• jgood

Posted August 25, 2003 - 05:19 AM

I have been told you have to put something in place of the battery or the rectifier could be damaged. Is this the case with your bike?

• emcdan

Posted August 25, 2003 - 07:54 AM

Sell the bike and buy a yz450f. You'll be cutting the resale value down alot changing original stuff. There's alot of people out there that will buy the WR (they want that e-start). Your not saving as much weight as you think for the trouble (buying parts + your labor time + reducing resale) Other options:

1.Slim the fat (lights, reservoir, kickstand..wr stuff) they can be put back on easily...saves 20lbs

2.Buy yz...saves 30lbs

3.Buy a yz250f and have a big bore installed...saves 40lbs.

If money, time, and bike reliablity is no object, do what your doing.

• crushedreams

Posted August 25, 2003 - 08:22 AM

The good thing about having your own bike is being able to do what you want to it. So if you arent helping with his question dont post.
I didnt use anything after taking the battery off. Its been off for about 1000 miles now. I just ziptied the leads away from each other. You might run in to some different issues when taking the starter out.
Josh

• ckulzer

Posted August 25, 2003 - 10:19 AM

Emcdan,
Remember that the YZ450 has a 4 speed transmission. This should eliminate it from consideration.

Ride fast - take chances

Chad

• emcdan

Posted August 25, 2003 - 12:00 PM

The good thing about having your own bike is being able to do what you want to it. So if you arent helping with his question dont post.

Crushedreams
I'm sorry you don't think this is a practical solution. But some things make sense to be condsidered. Maybe he hasn't even condsidered a change of bikes. My point was that while the bike still has great value and weight is the big issue, condsider a trade. Maybe he hasn't even condsidered a change of bikes.

I was speaking from personal experience. A friend of mine gave me this exact advice. I had a 426 considering suspension re-valve and adding other things. It wasn't practical. Selling the old/getting the new made sense.

If the guy don't like my opinion, let him answer. I was not responding to you. "nunya"

Chad
Excellent point. I forgot that 4 gear thingy. In defense though, unless your desert hauling a$$, that 5th gear may not be a biggy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ogrebelle

Posted August 25, 2003 - 12:34 PM

I forgot that 4 gear thingy. In defense though, unless your desert hauling a$$, that 5th gear may not be a biggy.

Yeah, but the spacing of the remaining 4 gears sure could be.

• GrahamO

Posted August 25, 2003 - 12:58 PM

I start looking to things like the rad reservoir to cut weight when I should actually look at my waist line. The reservoir is a few ounces and the waist is at least 15 pounds.

• jgood

Posted August 25, 2003 - 01:45 PM

Actually I have thought about just getting a motocross bike. That's why I have my bike posted in the "for sale" section of Thumper Talk. The thing about it is I love the bike I have except for the weight factor. The five speed gear box and and extra fly-wheel weight is great, the bike just feels heavy compared to my buddies 520sx and YZ400F. What I'm looking for is the characteristics of my bike without the top-heavy feel. My main concern is how to remove the battery without ruining the rectifier. I've been told by some reputable people that damage to the rectifier can occur.

• jgood

Posted August 25, 2003 - 01:51 PM

Actually I have considered getting another bike. It's posted for sale on TT right now. The thing is I love the bike except for that top-heavy feel. My main concern is how to remove the battery without damaging the rectifier. I have been told by some reputable people that rectifier damage can occur if the battery is removed.

• gsxrguy

Posted August 25, 2003 - 06:10 PM

do you want to sell your starter cluch?

• jgood

Posted August 25, 2003 - 06:45 PM

No, even if I take it off I'll keep it for resale of the bike.

• James_Dean

Posted August 25, 2003 - 08:21 PM

Dropping the starter and lightening the WR does not make it a YZF by any stretch of the imagination-

Bigger tank
18" rear tire
WR transmission
Lights as needed
Weighted flywheel
Softer suspension
Side stand
Odometer
Spark arrestor

-----
Changing out parts to make it lighter is easily reversible and the bike won't lose any value on resale if all the parts go with it. The battery, starter, and muffler are the big items.

I like your plan and if the '00WR400 would have been easier starting, I might have kept it.

James

• dubious

Posted August 28, 2003 - 10:41 PM

I haven't removed the e- start on my wr 450 yet , but have been researching the idea. If you still want lights and maybe electric hand warmers, you could simply replace the battery with a capacitor from capbatt, white bros, or accel. your lights will not dim at low rpm too. Other than that it seems all you would have to do is make a cover for the hole where the starter was and remove the wiring for the starter.Removing the starter ring seems like a good idea if you want more throttle reponse.The ring is tolerance fitted onto the rotor. Heat up the starter ring (not the rotor) with a torch and press it off the rotor.
For those inquiring, I bought a wr450 instead of the yz 450 because I wanted a wide ratio 5 speed. A 4 speed would be no good for my purposes.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 29, 2003 - 08:23 AM

The only weight reductioin I've done to my bike is: Put on a TI exhaust,took off the kickstand and replaced some of the plastic with YZ plastic, the rear fender alone weighs over 3 pounds...

If you decide to go further and take out the battery and starter, you did buy the wrong bike and you'll own a heavy version of the YZ450f.. Just the opposite from what you're going for in the first place...

• beezer

Posted August 29, 2003 - 08:37 AM

You guys would make Anglie Jolie get rid of her implants. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.