05 450 Base Valves

6 replies to this topic
  • YamRZ350

Posted May 26, 2011 - 10:02 PM

I pulled the forks apart on my new to me 05 450. The forks action was really poor and they had a ton of stiction that no amount of playing with the axle alignment could fix. Trying to set the sag was impossible.

I found the oil was contaminated with water and even a little rust on the top of the springs. The inner bushings were junk and the oil looked like peanut butter. Really nasty.

The springs in it were marked 48 (.48 I guess?), but the weird thing is the base valves don't have the spring like I've been reading about. I'm sure they're stock as the stem is still peened over the nut. Any ideas what "standard" style base valve fits into a 05 WR450? Or did the 05's not have the spring loaded blow off valve?

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted May 27, 2011 - 03:50 AM

I pulled the forks apart on my new to me 05 450. The forks action was really poor and they had a ton of stiction that no amount of playing with the axle alignment could fix. Trying to set the sag was impossible.

I found the oil was contaminated with water and even a little rust on the top of the springs. The inner bushings were junk and the oil looked like peanut butter. Really nasty.

The springs in it were marked 48 (.48 I guess?), but the weird thing is the base valves don't have the spring like I've been reading about. I'm sure they're stock as the stem is still peened over the nut. Any ideas what "standard" style base valve fits into a 05 WR450? Or did the 05's not have the spring loaded blow off valve?

They are stock and you are trying to make them better, dont waste any money trying to find a stock replacement. Call DaveJ at Smart Perfromance and order his DIY Phase 4 Kit :smirk:

• YamRZ350

Posted May 27, 2011 - 06:52 AM

So just so I'm clear, the 05 WR450 didn't come from the factory with the spring loaded base valves?

Also do you guys have any recomendations about spring rates front and rear? I'm 185 lbs and am in the midst of plating the bike to be used on the street mainly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted May 27, 2011 - 07:52 AM

So just so I'm clear, the 05 WR450 didn't come from the factory with the spring loaded base valves?

Also do you guys have any recomendations about spring rates front and rear? I'm 185 lbs and am in the midst of plating the bike to be used on the street mainly.

Im not sure (on the first question). Here is what the stock base valve pretty much looks like:

Posted Image

As for springs, when you talk to Dave he can recommend what springs.

• YamRZ350

Posted May 27, 2011 - 08:02 AM

Yeah, thats what I was saying. Mine doesn't have that big spring under the piston.
I wonder if the previous owner replaced the valves with something out of a different model or year bike?

Sourcing aftermarket "kits" is going to be a problem if I have totally different, unknown parts in the forks.

• YamRZ350

Posted May 28, 2011 - 05:35 AM

I wonder if I should have posted this in the suspension section?

• KennyMc

Posted May 28, 2011 - 06:58 AM

I just purchased and had installed DaveJ's kit. I didn't do the install myself. Dave recommended a local guy. The previous tuner made a lot of changes to valving. The new tuner was able to talk to Dave and get all the parts that the old tuner had removed but were needed in his stacks. Moral of the story, get the Smartperformance kit and work with Dave on any questions!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.