2011 yz450f advice on break in period

5 replies to this topic
  • onelik

Posted May 26, 2011 - 06:08 PM

So i just boutght a 2011 yz450f the white and black one its an amazing looking bike..the thing is that i've owned many bikes over 30 bikes i'd say and most of them were 4 strokes 450'fs but i've never had a brand new bike before so i dont know to much about the break in period. does it mean that i gotta ride it like if i wanted to win last place on a race.. and after the break in period do i take it to the shop to get it serviced or can i just do the servicing on my own and if so what would i need to do to it.. also how many tanks of gas or hrs on bike should i put before break in period is up.. also i bought this bike bieacuse yamaha is know for reliability but i just dont wanna start on the wrong foot

• grayracer513

Posted May 26, 2011 - 07:52 PM

The break in procedure is right there in that brand new owner's manual.

• dmm698

Posted May 26, 2011 - 07:56 PM

Forget the owners manual. Run it. That nikasyl bore coating is SO strong. Give it a heat cycle or whatever before you head to the track, Then do a sight lap or two half pace, then just run the thing ilke you stole it. Exactly what I do with all my fresh motors, and on my first new 2011 kx250f, and the way my friend broke his 09 and 11 yz450's in. When it comes to motors he knows his stuff, he works at a machine shop and fixes all sorts of grenaded motors, actually where the local dealers send all their heads for valves jobs.
Edit: Oil change. Change the oil after your first ride. Just helps to insure that any burrs or anything on gears in the tranny that come out dont go floating around. Change the filter too with the first change.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted May 27, 2011 - 05:29 AM

My personal break-in procedure.

Check oil, check air filter, tighten bolts, adjust controls, new petrol, warm up, ride it like my brother left HIS new bike in my garage (no lugging, no rev limiter abuse). Stop every 15 minutes or so to recheck/adjust/let bike cool down, repeat for a tank's worth.

Tear down bike for greasing and extensive maintenance. Then back out for more riding.

• ahats

Posted May 27, 2011 - 06:54 AM

I was sent to this link 4 years ago when I bought a new street bike, and have used it on every new bike/rebuild I have done since. The "motoman" really was obsessed with flashy HTML code, but his methods have been solid and treated me well. Just don't forget to change that oil ASAP and frequently in the beginning...

• onelik

Posted May 27, 2011 - 12:51 PM

Thanks man that website gave me the piece of mind of my new engine

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.