First impressions WR450

10 replies to this topic
  • flinch

Posted May 26, 2011 - 04:49 PM

Rode my new to me 03 WR450 for the first time today. Now my main bike is a 05 YZ250f, so this is what I have to compare the WR too. I took the bike to the hardest trails I have ever ridden, trails that are nothing but rock gardens (more like boulders), roots, and mud holes. The thing that impressed me the most was the suspension, the bike was able to roll over rock gardens that my YZ would of thrown me off, actually I would not of even attempted these with the YZ. Also the fact that the bike hardly ever stalled, and when it did all I did was hit the button and I was ready to go. I also loved the down low smooth power, I was able to crawl through some tough stuff my YZ would of been stalling, and then not starting. I was not able to open the bike up to get the feel of the 450 power because the trails were to rough. What I didn't like was the weight of the bike, it felt much heavier than the YZ (which it is). I was worn out after an hour of riding this bike, in this terrain. It may be a little big for me, I'm 5 '10 about 155, I had to push and pull this bike through some mud and rocks, it really wore me out, I guess I will get used to it. All in all I loved the bike, I was able to do things that I could'nt do on the YZ, I just need to find an area that I could open this thing up to see what it really has.

• MANIAC998

Posted May 26, 2011 - 07:19 PM

If you think the stock suspension is good, wait until you get it revalved!!! Night & Day difference. Yeah, she may be heavier than your YZ, but she's got grunt & the magic button! To me, that's worth the price of admission! Maniac

• Flagstaff

Posted May 26, 2011 - 09:01 PM

Happy with my '06 wr450.

• flinch

Posted May 27, 2011 - 08:10 AM

The other thing I loved was the kickstand, I never had a bike with a kickstand until this one and man did it come in handy. When I got stuck or hung up and I needed a break I just put the stand down and walked away, I never realized how handy a kickstand is until I now.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 28, 2011 - 12:09 AM

The other thing I loved was the kickstand, I never had a bike with a kickstand until this one and man did it come in handy. When I got stuck or hung up and I needed a break I just put the stand down and walked away, I never realized how handy a kickstand is until I now.

Well... just wait til you put an autoclutch on it. You'll be blown away

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jonooffler

Posted May 28, 2011 - 12:32 AM

Hi mate good to see your happy with your new bike .It took me a few bikes to get to the WR450, I had ...DR125 x2 DT125r XR250 DRZ400 TE610E KDX220 WR426 KTM450 exc and now my 2005 WR40. I love it great power and very stable what more can you ask for.
Jono

• jonooffler

Posted May 28, 2011 - 12:39 AM

Hi mate good to see your happy with your new bike .It took me a few bikes to get to the WR450, I had ...DR125 x2 DT125r XR250 DRZ400 TE610E KDX220 WR426 KTM450 exc and now my 2005 WR40. I love it great power and very stable what more can you ask for.
Jono

• bg10459

Posted May 28, 2011 - 04:13 AM

Electric start, kickstand AND an auto clutch? A real gentlemens bike :smirk:

• Sknight

Posted May 28, 2011 - 08:39 AM

I don't have any real dirt experience to speak of (Easy trails on a 125 smoker 20 years ago.) but I found my WR450 to be terribly forgiving to stupidity. Lug it down to near a standstill, hit the gas and it just rolls away. I've got to admit I love it. I'm a big guy and it carried my fat tail with ease.

• jonrack

Posted May 29, 2011 - 08:29 AM

I recently switched over from the YZ400f and am happy with the transition. Although, I've done all the free mods and am still wishing it had a bit more power. But I weigh 240 so I realize not everyone feels the same way.

• jonrack

Posted May 29, 2011 - 08:33 AM

ahhhh, dreamin of an autoclutch and a LHRB. Maybe on the next tax return

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.