YZ 250 Kickstarter 1998

6 replies to this topic
  • 125Wolf

Posted May 26, 2011 - 11:25 AM

Hi everybody Im new to this forum. I just purchase a 1998 Yz 250 and notice on my friends yz250 2001 model that his kickstarter uses a ratchet that locks in and makes it easier to start. Was it only fitted to the 1999 and onwards? or is there something wrong with my kickstarter. Also when I put my bike into gear it start crawling forward. Iv ajusted all the clutch cable settings and its still the same doesnt matter if the bike is cold or warmed up. Great forum you guy have :smirk:

• dirtrider 11

Posted May 26, 2011 - 11:41 AM

don't know about the kick starter but for the clutch it could be notching in the basket and it could be the lever, what I did to mine was bend the lever forward a little that way you can pull it in farther so the clutch will fully disengage. if it is notching you will have to file the basket here is an article on how to do that.http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=922634 hope this helps and welcome to thumper talk:thumbsup:

• 125Wolf

Posted May 26, 2011 - 11:44 AM

Thanks man will check it out. Only starts crawling when it idles but if I rev the motor up abit then its fine

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtrider 11

Posted May 26, 2011 - 11:52 AM

be careful not to break the lever if you decide to bend it they break pretty easy

• mstyer

Posted May 26, 2011 - 12:16 PM

Sounds like the detent ball and spring may be missing from your kickstart lever. It should snap into place in the extended and closed positions.

Parts 13 & 14 on this schematic:
http://www.bikebandi...m8874#sch111319

• CaptDan

Posted May 26, 2011 - 01:58 PM

...when I put my bike into gear it start crawling forward. Iv ajusted all the clutch cable settings and its still the same doesnt matter if the bike is cold or warmed up.

Most every Yamaha I've ridden would creep when in gear. That drag also makes it tricky to get the trans into neutral (when the motor is running), and almost impossible to kickstart the motor to life when in gear!

As far as I know, that's just the way they are. :smirk:

• CaptDan

Posted May 26, 2011 - 02:26 PM

I agree with mstyer that it sounds like your kickstart lever just needs to be disassembled and cleaned/repaired.

If you need a complete replacement, Yamaha used the same kick lever on the YZ250 from 1988 to 1998.

:smirk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

1995 yz125 by sven4130

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

yz 2000 and 2003 cylinders by dawson1120

• 6 replies
Forums
Photo

different year plastics by YJB006

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2001 YZ250 resto project by yamerhaaa304

• Hot  24 replies
Forums
Photo

93 yz 80 crank bearings out by Wheelierider3

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.