I'd like to try a Hare Scramble...what's it like?

13 replies to this topic
  • YZ426_Kicks

Posted May 17, 2001 - 06:49 PM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for reading!

Now that my clutch seems to be okay, I've been giving some consideration to doing a hare scramble. I have no idea what they are like other than the fact that the course takes you over "x" amount of miles through hills, rocks, mud, woods and what ever else they can throw at you. I understand that the object is to finish in the best time possible.

I've also heard that these are very aggressive "races". I've been told that riders will not think twice of "kicking" you out of the way.

Just what would I be getting myself into???

Thanks!

Randy
YZ426 Kicks

• Bill

Posted May 18, 2001 - 02:24 AM

Randy,

It can be whatever you want it to be. I had never really rode in the woods and raced a GNCC. I never got punted of the track. The fast guys will come up behind you and you can hear them. They'll wait a little and start yelling, just as soon as you can, find a place to pull to the side and they'll go by. Most will even thank you when they pass.

You can sit down and just ride along or you can wick it up and go for it.

The tracks are 7-15 miles and you race for 1.5-2.5 hours. The start will be dead engine and they start you a minute apart from the other classes. It like a big ride with 400 of your best friends.

Since your in NY, try NETRA. They're the local sanctioning body up your way.

Buy somehand guards and a hydration pack (preferibly not a CamelBak) and go for it!

Bill

------------------
97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Cycra Pro-Bend hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC, Rausch Creek MXC, Tower City Trail Riders.

• slowrider

Posted May 18, 2001 - 03:20 AM

how come you wouldn't buy a camelbak??

• enmerdeur

Posted May 18, 2001 - 05:16 AM

Camelbak support land closures.

------------------
SHN
99'YZ-400 (Mine)
00' TT-R 125 (Hers)
91' KX-125 (Son #1)
93' CR-80 (Just sold it. Looking for another TTR125 for Son #2)
99' PW-80 (Son #3)

• dirtdad

Posted May 18, 2001 - 05:50 AM

kind of shooting yourself in the foot don't you think!? I mean camelback of course. Don't know too many tree huggers who wear them. Mostly mountain bike and dirt bikers!

------------------
00 YZ426F
01 TT-R125L (my son's)
91 CR125
83 YZ490
74 Hodaka Super Combat(gone but not forgotten!)

• slowrider

Posted May 18, 2001 - 06:17 AM

That's crazy everyone that uses one goes into the back country. But if that's the case I won't support them. Where did you get that info?

• YZ400Court

Posted May 18, 2001 - 06:48 AM

Try a search for camelbackstabbers. They are dark green, if it has a motor they are against it.

------------------
Pretend it's flat and give it the gas.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ400Court

Posted May 18, 2001 - 06:52 AM

About the hare scramble thing, go for it. It really is a 400 man trail ride, great fun. Go as fast as you want, and get out of the pros way, you will love it. Don't forget, it's not motocross. Don't bang bars as a fight may soon erupt, GNCC, ENDURO and HARE SCRAMBLES guys are the most polite in the motorcycle world. They really do yell thanks when you let them by.

------------------
Pretend it's flat and give it the gas.

• enmerdeur

Posted May 18, 2001 - 07:05 AM

I read it in the Blue Ribbon Coalition news paper. Camelbak denies any such claims but apparently they discovered that they had indeed contributed $$ to a group (I can't remeber the name. I threw that paper away) that works to close land.

------------------
SHN
99'YZ-400 (Mine)
00' TT-R 125 (Hers)
91' KX-125 (Son #1)
93' CR-80 (Just sold it. Looking for another TTR125 for Son #2)
99' PW-80 (Son #3)

• Tim

Posted May 18, 2001 - 08:15 AM

Blackburn Hydra-pak works pretty good. Cheaper than camelback too.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 18, 2001 - 12:13 PM

A while back someone posted something about a fellow thumper that was at work and emailed Camelbak inquiring their hypocriticism on the land closure issue yet sell most of their products to ppl that use the lands that they support closing. Camelbak somehow found out that he was at work and Narked to his Boss and tried to get him FIRED.(I think my memory is correct!)
Just after I read this I emailed Camelbak with a letter of concern and requested a response. Do ya think I have received a response? Absolutely NOT. I went as far as sending my camelbak water pack back to them But they sent it back!
I guess they are just afraid of the truth!
What a bunch of HYPOCRITS!
Please don't buy or support anything that Camelbak is involved with!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 18, 2001 - 12:25 PM

As far as the Hare n' Hound or Hare scrambles thing ...******WARNING********
They are addicting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I did my first one three yrs ago on my 95'YZ250 in my jeans work boots no chest protector and No CLUE!
.........I had a blast!!!!!
That was the last race of the yr so i had to wait til' feb to get another taste.
I hadn't even been on a dirt bike for 11yrs!
I raced the first 4or 5 races of the next yr on the 250 and got sick and tired to hearing the Thump go by me! Therefore If you can't beat em' join em'!
I had no idea about PIT stops or tear-off's etc etc.
Don't be too serious about it the first 1 or 2 times just go out and have fun but try to get some inside scoops on things. Just learn as much as you can and you will get better each time.
I find that even though some of my frnds are better riders than me that is sill finish 40 or 50 bikes in front of them cuz' I just use my head. Ther is a time to be aggressive and a time to WAIT YOUR TURN. Maybe there is 30 guys stuck on a single track up a muddy or rocky hill.......rathr than goin around and wrecking or breaking something it might just be faster to wait and pass them all at once in one of your stronger areas of riding.
Or maybe if you just sit back and see the BIG pix there may be a line up and around the whole pile up!
The key is to finish! Just use your head and don't go over your ability.
One last thing is that you need to watch out for the guy that is riding MX out there. Don't worry you will pass him when he is picking his bike up for the 5th time!
Have Fun and RideSAFE

G4

------------------
NOPE..........BOY.......
That's not thunder ridin' your BUTT .........
It's a whole Damn HURRICANE!!!!!!

• scottzx7rr

Posted May 18, 2001 - 04:42 PM

Same here. I started racing Harescrambles in '99. I wanted to race again but the family was against me roadracing as I was paralyzed and broke many bones in my body. But they didn't yell too loudly at me riding off-road. I entered my first and been hooked ever since. Boy do they regret not getting cranky with me riding that first race. LOL

As for the Camelbak issue. Here is a real eye opener.
http://www.off-road....peak042001.html

------------------
Scott #410
Some Fear Racing "Cause if you don't have any you ain't going fast enough"
'99 YZ400F(Coming to a Theater near you soon)
'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR
"Doesn't hurt till the bone is exposed"
"When cut do you bleed green? I do!"
Pics

• jamie_mckown

Posted May 18, 2001 - 05:27 PM

I went to my first Hare Scrambles alone. Since then it has never been a problem to get someone to go with me. Just ride at your own pace. You will be surprised how well you do if you can just keep moving. Take a leak before you start and get a hydration system. JUST KEEP MOVING FORWARD!!!!!!! The best part is, most orgs. require AMA membership, so this is another chance to show your support for the sport. Good luck!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.