drz400s chain and sprockets

2 replies to this topic
  • by11

Posted May 25, 2011 - 08:42 PM

I have a 2003 DRZ400s with about 9,000 miles. I'm pretty sure it still has the stock chain and sprockets...520 chain and 15/44 sprocket set-up. How many miles can I expect to get out of this current stock set-up? Should I replace soon to ensure long and strong running? Any suggestions? I ride it mostly on the road and the occasional gravel road and seldom on the trail. New to this cool game and would appreciate some experienced advice. Thanks a lot......

• 151 drz

Posted May 26, 2011 - 03:46 AM

hey are you happy with your gearing right now for the riding you do? gearing is very much a personal opinion so i would look at if your happy with what your at or if you would rather be in your powerband a little faster or slower and go from there!:smirk:

• ROUNDEYEHELMETHEAD

Posted May 26, 2011 - 05:43 AM

9000 miles is probably near the end of their life.

really depends on the usage. hard off-road use will kill them long before that.

replacement is usually based on actual condition, not miles.

how do they look? c'shaft sprocket fish-hooking? wear on teeth of rear sprocket? pull the chain away from the rear sprocket & 3:00 position - does it expose more than 1/2 of the sprocket teeth height?

have you made frequent adjustments recently?

if yes to any of those & considering your mileage - replace the set.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Looking at a drz400s and dr650se by lpfm1990

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR
  • Hot  24 replies
Forums
Photo

Wisconsinite762 Mod Thread by Wisconsinite762

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  74 replies
Forums
Photo

Brand new 2014 DRZ 400SM by jprince911

• Hot  65 replies
Wiki
Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension - last post by bmwpowere36m3

Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Need help diagnosing rough idle problem by richdiggins

• 18 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.