YZ450 parts on WR450

6 replies to this topic
  • Beta_Man

Posted May 25, 2011 - 09:18 AM

I haven't been around in awhile and alittle rusty with the Yamaha's, but I got a 2007 YZ450 with quite a few mods and the bike just isn't meeting my needs for a bush bike. So I am looking to get a WR450 and swap all my parts over. It appears that 2007-2011 WR's are the same bike so any one of those years will work? I am thinking about a new 2009. I will list all the stuff that I am looking to swap over and wondering if you guys will know if any of them wont work.

Forks and shock
Rg3 triple clamps
head/cams
maybe the piston and cylinder
ims tank
hubs/rims
oversized front disk
rear disk
all levers clutch/brakes and gear shifter
STM slipper clutch
skidplate/sharkfin
pro circuit Ti4 full exhaust
heavy fly wheel probably not needed on the WR though

That's about all I can think of right now. Or I could buy a used WR and swap over the parts which would probably be more work and I wouldn't have a new bike. Things I want are the electric start, stator/lighting and possibly gearing.

What do you guys think?

• kawi380

Posted May 25, 2011 - 10:00 AM

I would think just about everything you listed there will swap right over. The wr clutch lever has the switch that won't allow starting, so you will have to bypass that.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted May 25, 2011 - 10:42 AM

Forks and shock - [COLOR="Red"] Yes[/COLOR]
Rg3 triple clamps - [COLOR="Red"] Yes[/COLOR]
head/cams - [COLOR="Red"]Heads are the same, cams are different...if you go with the yz be prepared to have issues with the estart (kicking will be fine)[/COLOR]
maybe the piston and cylinder - - [COLOR="Red"] same no need to swap[/COLOR]
ims tank - [COLOR="Red"] Yes[/COLOR]
hubs/rims - [COLOR="Red"]06-08 yz wheels will, 09 front will but not rear[/COLOR]
oversized front disk - [COLOR="Red"]Should[/COLOR]
rear disk - [COLOR="Red"]Depends (see above)[/COLOR]
all levers clutch/brakes and gear shifter - [COLOR="Red"] Yes[/COLOR]
STM slipper clutch - [COLOR="Red"]No sure but I think so[/COLOR]
skidplate/sharkfin - [COLOR="Red"]skid wont, shark yes[/COLOR]
pro circuit Ti4 full exhaust - [COLOR="Red"] Yes[/COLOR]
heavy fly wheel probably not needed on the WR though - [COLOR="Red"] no, different style crack on flywheel side[/COLOR]

See comments above in RED

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Beta_Man

Posted May 25, 2011 - 11:23 AM

Awesome thanks guys. What are the issues with the YZ cams and e-start? It has web cams in it also though.

It has a different piston in it with alittle more compression thats why I was thinking of swapping it depending on wear though and the head has been ported.

I have a Hyde racing skid plate and it looks like 06-07 YZ is the same for the WR so it should fit.

Also have a Vortex CDI to swap if it will work.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted May 25, 2011 - 12:26 PM

What are the issues with the YZ cams and e-start? It has web cams in it also though.

The YZ auto decomp pin is in a different spot which i think dumps comp to soon for the estart.

It has a different piston in it with alittle more compression thats why I was thinking of swapping it depending on wear though and the head has been ported.

They will swap just fine.

I have a Hyde racing skid plate and it looks like 06-07 YZ is the same for the WR so it should fit.

The frames might look the same but they are different. the skid plate wont bolt on...you might have to mod it to make it work.

Also have a Vortex CDI to swap if it will work.

This wont work at all

• Beta_Man

Posted May 25, 2011 - 01:08 PM

The YZ auto decomp pin is in a different spot which i think dumps comp to soon for the estart.

They will swap just fine.

The frames might look the same but they are different. the skid plate wont bolt on...you might have to mod it to make it work.

This wont work at all

Can the decompression assembly be swapped over? I cant remember if the gears can be pulled off or not. It looks like Yamaha sells it all as one though.

The CDI does look completely different. Is the CDI controlling anything else or how come it is so much different. The charging system?

Thanks again for all the info.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted May 25, 2011 - 01:59 PM

Can the decompression assembly be swapped over?

No the actual hole in the cam is at a different degree

The CDI does look completely different. Is the CDI controlling anything else or how come it is so much different. The charging system?

Correct

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.