Cooling fans and amp draw on WR450F

62 replies to this topic
  • ur2silly

Posted June 04, 2011 - 06:43 AM

http://s1187.photobu...nAISbracket.jpg

This is the relay mounted onto the the bracket where the AIS module used to live.

• ur2silly

Posted June 04, 2011 - 06:44 AM

http://s1187.photobu...lerelattemp.jpg

This is the relay as seen from the left side of bike. Notice the little blue adjustable pot. That controls the cut on temp for the fan.

• ur2silly

Posted June 04, 2011 - 06:46 AM

http://s1187.photobu...seclearance.jpg

Notice how tight the clearance is between the tank and the radiator. The right side was even tighter. The only way to get the fan to fit on the bike was to mount it on the left radiator as low as possible. Anywhere else and the fan housing hit the gas tank.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted June 04, 2011 - 06:51 AM

Can you remember what switch you used for controlling the fan?

Thanks

:ride:

On mine I just used the headlight switch to control the fan. It is a 2003 WR so the switch is just off/on with no hi or lo. I had upgraded the light to HID and it came with its own heavy duty switch so the stock switch was available for fan duty.

I like the idea of the automatic control, but turning it on and off manually hasn't been too much of a hassle yet.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted June 04, 2011 - 06:52 AM

http://s1187.photobu...shroudonrad.jpg

Try this again. Trial fit of the bracket.

Great job on the bracket! Looks good. :ride:

• Sknight

Posted June 04, 2011 - 06:52 AM

That bracket looks good! I went cheap and easy with the push through pins and a thick mouse pad cut to fit for padding. I really need new radiators (Mine are bent, bent back to fit and leaks patched.) so when I replace them eventually I'll make a bracket then.

Doesn't cool it down but it does stalemate the temperature rise so I'm good with that. I've got a Hayden variable controller coming so I did a kinda ugly wiring job, least for my standards, until it gets here.

• ur2silly

Posted June 04, 2011 - 07:04 AM

http://s1187.photobu...=tempsensor.jpg

Here is the temp sensor mounted to the radiator. If you mount it all the way at the top the holes between the cooling fins are large enough that it fits thru without bending up your radiator.

• ur2silly

Posted June 04, 2011 - 07:07 AM

http://s1187.photobu...urrent=done.jpg

Finally done. I let the bike sit and idle for about 35 minutes last night closely monitoring to see if was going to overheat. The fan never shut off but the bike did not overheat neither. Then I went for a short ride. As soon as I started moving the fan shut off. Came back to the garage and let it idle some more. Soon as the temp came up the fan kicked back on. Let it idle about another 15 minutes and it did not overheat.
The verdict. Yamaha should have put a fan on these bikes to begin with. However, the set up I am using with the SPAL fan and the control relay I got from PepBoys, so far, works perfectly. Ill post again after some riding and let ya’ll know how durable this stuff is.
SPAL fan, $36.99
Control relay about, $34
Cool running bike, priceless :ride:

Edited by ur2silly, June 04, 2011 - 08:14 AM.
additional info. I forgot to add that I am running Engine Ice for the coolant fluid 256 degrees F boiling point

• ur2silly

Posted June 04, 2011 - 07:36 AM

Here is the info. for the relay I got from PepBoys.

Hayden Automotive
Thermostatic Fan Control
Part# 3647
Bar code on package 0 36752 03647 9

If you give them the bar code at PepBoys they should be able to find the exact relay.

• ur2silly

Posted June 04, 2011 - 07:54 AM

http://s1187.photobu...elaydiagram.jpg

Relay Wiring Diagram

Sensor- Inserted thru the radiator fins
Blue wire- connected to red wire on fan harness
Orange wire- Not Used (could control second fan)
Red wire- connected to + on battery
Yellow wire- connected to brown wire of bike's main power switch
Green wire- Not used
Black wire- grounded to bike frame

Black wire on fan harness- grounded to bike frame

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Flytmech

Posted June 04, 2011 - 09:39 AM

On mine I just used the headlight switch to control the fan. It is a 2003 WR so the switch is just off/on with no hi or lo. I had upgraded the light to HID and it came with its own heavy duty switch so the stock switch was available for fan duty.

I like the idea of the automatic control, but turning it on and off manually hasn't been too much of a hassle yet.

I dont see a headlight switch for a 2003 WR...Mine is a 2006 and it definately does not have a headlight switch. I check the OEM parts breakdown and it is not showing a headlight switch either. Was this an aftermarket item?

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted June 04, 2011 - 12:28 PM

I dont see a headlight switch for a 2003 WR...Mine is a 2006 and it definately does not have a headlight switch. I check the OEM parts breakdown and it is not showing a headlight switch either. Was this an aftermarket item?

I think this is it here:

http://www.boats.net...3976-50-00.html

2003 was the only year of the WR450 to get the switch. In any event you probably don't want to buy the Yamaha one due to the price. A used one could probably be found on ebay since it doesn't necessarily have to be this particular one. A bar mounted on/off switch from any bike should do the job.

• ur2silly

Posted June 04, 2011 - 04:57 PM

My 2007 does not have a headlight switch neither. It has the main power switch, start button and kill button. If your putting on a fan and spending money for a switch any way, why not get a fan control so it shuts on and off when it needs to. Just my 2 cents.

• MaxPower

Posted June 05, 2011 - 11:43 AM

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Is it possible to have the fan run in reverse without too much hassles?[/COLOR]

• MaxPower

Posted June 05, 2011 - 12:48 PM

[COLOR="Green"]I was just brainstorming where to fit the fan on my 04
If I run a large tank finding a place to mount it really gets challenging
First I was thinking of mounting it in front of the radiator as a push fan. It being exposed and ugly is the biggest thing against doing it that way.
Now Im thinking of still using it as a pull fan but mounting it in front somehow
Im only using it as a SM or road riding so it wont be exposed to mud and yuk (hopefully)

I disagree that these bike should have come with a fan.
They are way way too heavy as it is.
Thats how its ending up as my road ride in the first place

[/COLOR]

• Sknight

Posted June 05, 2011 - 01:56 PM

They make a pusher version of that same fan, it's not as simple as reversing the rotation the blade won't be as efficient rotating backwards of design.

Mine weighs about a pound and a half installed. I'm nowhere good enough to notice that weight difference.

• ur2silly

Posted June 06, 2011 - 06:57 AM

[COLOR="Green"]I was just brainstorming where to fit the fan on my 04
If I run a large tank finding a place to mount it really gets challenging
First I was thinking of mounting it in front of the radiator as a push fan. It being exposed and ugly is the biggest thing against doing it that way.
Now Im thinking of still using it as a pull fan but mounting it in front somehow
Im only using it as a SM or road riding so it wont be exposed to mud and yuk (hopefully)

I disagree that these bike should have come with a fan.
They are way way too heavy as it is.
Thats how its ending up as my road ride in the first place

[/COLOR]

If your gonna only be on the road, perhaps the computer fans would work. They are much thinner. The ones I looked at were only about 3/4" thick. I also did an ebay search for "waterproof computer fan" and found some for around $15 if I remember correctly. I decided to go with the SPAL fan though simply based on which I thought would be most durable off road.

I'm not good enough to notice the "extra" weight neither. But......Is it really "extra" weight? Different gearing(probably does not affect weight), stator, headlight, battery, the all important magic button. As compared to a YZ, the headlight and the button were enough to make me buy the WR. Plus, I don't intend to race, just ride trails for pleasure. With the few mods I have done to my WR, seems to me it will flat out fly. Honestly, I don't need or want anything faster/lighter, I'd get my killins' done.

What state are you in and what hoops do you have to jump thru in order to get a title and register for road use? Don't get a title here in NC, only MSO for off road bikes.

• MaxPower

Posted June 07, 2011 - 08:32 PM

[COLOR="Green"]I bought it plated already.I live in New Jersey. I see people.The reason its becoming a SM bike is that I have am taking a break from dirt riding.I have gotten hurt too many times.Ill be back, just not now.I put so much into getting this bike I plan on wearing it out. If I sell it I wont get back the time or money I dropped on it. Ill make the fan work. I bought it. Its a really nice unit.And these bikes do get so hot with all the moving metal under the tank.Thanks for taking my silly ideas seriously[/COLOR]

• ur2silly

Posted June 11, 2011 - 06:32 AM

Well, its only been a week and the bike has been on two 15-20 mile rides. I can say that the SPAL fan is keeping the bike from overheating. Been riding thru slow trails near my house and the temp. was over 95 degrees F each time. I read where someone described the SPAL fan as a "heat stalemate". I'll agree with that. While riding slow or stopped and idling the fan runs. It keeps the bike from overheating but does not cool it down completely. The only way to cool it down completely is to go faster and move more air thru the radiators. Still I am very happy with the install. It does exactly what I needed it to do.:ride:

• ur2silly

Posted June 13, 2011 - 05:18 AM

Well, yesterady the fan stopped working. I don't know what part of the relay/temp system failed, but it did. The fan itself is working great, found that out and just hooked it up to a toggle switch for now. Hopefully it is the relay and not the temp. probe that went bad. The relay can be replaced for about $6 but temp probe cannot, its integrated into the wiring harness. The relay just gets unplugged and replaced. I gotta do some testing to figure out which component is bad. Then, depending on what went bad, I may go with a different set up. This thing failed way too soon (third ride) and I didn't beat the hell out of it neither.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.