Looking for YZ400f

3 replies to this topic
  • SteveW828

Posted May 17, 2001 - 10:42 AM

I am looking to buy a used four stroke YZ400 1998 or 1999 this summer for some light MX for fun (no racing) and trail riding. I have'nt rode in quite a while but always wanted to get back into it. Now seems like the time.

What should I look for in a used bike? Any advice would be much appreciated.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 17, 2001 - 10:51 AM

I would consider buying a used WR400. It is a little tamer for the trails. I currently own a WR426 and love it. Before this bike I had a 98 YZ400. The bike hauled ass! On the trails it wasen't very easy to ride without really clutching it. the WR has aot of low end and kicks butt on top with a few mods.
My 2 cents,
Dennis :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tim

Posted May 17, 2001 - 11:10 AM

Hey steve,
Not to "dis" the last guy, but there are alot of people out there with WRs that end up turning the WR into a YZ with seat and tank combo. I was also out of riding for about 8 years until I got back into it last year. After a brief relatioinship with an old CR500, It was enough to plant the hook and I bought a '00 YZ 426. I could not ask for anything more than this bike. I also mainly ride mild MX and mostly trails. With a little gearing help the bike works great for any type of trail (anything in the midwest anyway). You will not be dissapointed. Get the starting procedure down (takes 10 min) and you are on your way to a no-gas-mixing good time. If you have not ridden a YZ 400/426 try to find one to ride first. You can ride it nice, or nasty and it likes it. I can't say so much for the two stroke race bikes of today.....

Hope this helps
Tim

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 17, 2001 - 02:07 PM

Not at all Tim. :)
Dennis

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.