Talk about low hours...

12 replies to this topic
  • bryawn

Posted May 24, 2011 - 02:57 PM

Just saw this on CL -- essentially a brand new 2000 426. Talk about low hours. Might be good as a collectible, if there is such a thing for 426s...Not sure I'd pay $3k

http://portland.crai...2399494616.html

• RiderX

Posted May 24, 2011 - 03:21 PM

Pretty cool. Worth the price for someone who wants a brand new bike, but is not worried about all the improvements Yamaha has made over the last 12 years. I would worry about dry seals though.

• cowboyona426

Posted May 24, 2011 - 03:44 PM

Fishy. Tank graphics are slightly yellowed, which means it sat with fuel in it. I can see stress marks on the front fender... probably not going to get those in storage. Approved spark arrestor muffler, with what appears to be a stock mid pipe in the pic?
If it was as described, I'd put it in my garage if I had the money. I still kick myself for selling my 00 426 and buying my 06.

• Dirt-rich

Posted May 24, 2011 - 04:10 PM

It's cool to see an older bike that clean but not worth what they are asking i bought my 09 yz450f with 2 rides on it for 3k I've seen the bike for sale for a little while. good luck to them. But you should definatly buy it

• bryawn

Posted May 24, 2011 - 05:10 PM

It's cool to see an older bike that clean but not worth what they are asking i bought my 09 yz450f with 2 rides on it for 3k I've seen the bike for sale for a little while. good luck to them. But you should definatly buy it

That's what I was thinking -- you can get some low hours more recent bikes for around $3k.

You'd have to see it in person to confirm it actually had never been ridden in the dirt.

I bet that if it sat around for another 10 years it would start to be worth some real money. I can say that a bike ain't going to be just sitting around in my garage...

• Yamiryder

Posted May 24, 2011 - 05:18 PM

If i bought it with the plan of keeping it "like new," i'd end up riding it all the time...."i'll just go for a little spin" would end up being 30-40 minutes and it would not look like new anymore

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • houndog426

Posted May 24, 2011 - 05:27 PM

one thing ive learned about internet sales, and internal combustion engines, some times there not as good as they seem, you can make something spotless and perfect, but on the inside its a nasty P.O.S, but if its what they say GET IT !!!!!!!!!! just be aware and again if its true...... what a steal, ive owned many bikes by far the best is my yz426, it is one bike i will never get rid of............... NICE FIND!!!!!!!

• rmzrider151

Posted May 24, 2011 - 05:37 PM

Sweet, I'm in Oregon too!

• RiderX

Posted May 24, 2011 - 05:53 PM

For all that are saying that the YZ426 was their favorite bike, what makes you favor it over the YZ450's?

• todds924

Posted May 24, 2011 - 07:50 PM

Nothing. 400's and 426;s were Piles.....In my own opinion.
Ride a 2010 and a 426 back to back and tell me how good a 426 is.
Maybe back in the year 2000 they were ok?

• Bkew

Posted May 24, 2011 - 08:02 PM

In the first picture it may be light reflections but right under the seat on the frame it looks like a wear mark? If it is he is lying. I know... I have a 01' 426 in the garage I bought new late year of 01' and I old rode it for 10 hours give or take before snow hit.

Rode it a bit more in 02' then broke my wrist and elbow racing street bikes june of 02'...which took 18 months. Elbow not a good thing to break!!!

Then in 03' had a daughter (<--BEST thing ever!!!)

So it sat pretty much everyone summer, maybe got ridden once or twice (5 hours max a year until around 07').

Got serious about riding again late 08' and cleaned her up. Fired right up (bullet proof bike honeslty)

Looking at mine in the garage just now...I have ridden it so little there is NO WEAR on the frame at all. <--pretty sad really! So if there is frame wear, that has hours on it. I would say mine has a max of high 30's to low 40s on the hours and no wear shown.

I would get a newer model honestly just my 2 cents.

When I started to ride again I rode a friends 08' CRF and realized just how FAR they have come. The 426 is just as strong power wise but feels like the TITANIC and handles like one too on a track compared to the new ones. HAHAHAHA. Though I will say the suspension is better then current!! Everyone rode it said the same thing too?? I had friends joke they had never seen one in PERSON.... like it was some elusive creature or something!!

In the end I bought a 09' RMZ 450 and the 426 just sits now. It's like family though now :smirk: not sure what to do with it. I will say the bike is well built so taken care of it will last a LONG TIME.... figure longer then new models.

• cowboyona426

Posted May 25, 2011 - 08:11 AM

For all that are saying that the YZ426 was their favorite bike, what makes you favor it over the YZ450's?

I felt like my 00 426 was a better bike for woods out of the box than my 06 is. On my 00 all I did was gear it down and add the usual woods parts (spark arrestor, hand guards, radiator braces, etc) and rode the dang thing.
My 06 has required way more attention, time, and money to make it a good woods bike (flywheel weight, several front tires to find one that works, suspension work, larger fuel tank...etc) If I hopped on a 426 today and rode it back to back with my 06 I may change my story though. I think the weight and the steel frame make the 426 a more forgiving bike (you can have a sloppy riding style or poor technique and it doesn't care) where the aluminum framed 06 requires you to be on your toes and have better body positioning/riding technique to keep it on the straight and narrow.

• Brentnlisa

Posted May 25, 2011 - 08:25 AM

I think the weight and the steel frame make the 426 a more forgiving bike (you can have a sloppy riding style or poor technique and it doesn't care) where the aluminum framed 06 requires you to be on your toes and have better body positioning/riding technique to keep it on the straight and narrow.

That is so true. You can get away with so much more on that bike than the new aluminum framed ones and it never complains. Another thing I like is the traction seems so much better, no matter what the conditions.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.