Local Suspension Revalve in Arizona

10 replies to this topic
  • Jeepentj

Posted May 17, 2001 - 07:09 AM

Arizonians,

I want to revalve the suspension on my 426 and would like to have it done locally. Anybody have any first hand experience with local tuners/shops? What about prices? I know there are lots of places around the country that can do it but I'd like to talk face to face with the person that is actually going to do the work on my bike.

Thanks,
David

• YZ400Court

Posted May 17, 2001 - 08:09 AM

Piper Performance Racing
21629 N 9th Avenue # 9,
Phoenix, AZ
(623) 587-7708

Piper is the local Rece-Tech guy. He does a great job.

Also my 400 was done by SRD (480) 759-6350. It works great without the use of expensive gold valves.

------------------
Pretend it's flat and give it the gas.

• G-Man

Posted May 17, 2001 - 09:14 PM

David,
How many rides do you have on your bike, the 01 is very stiff until broken in.

Also you would be surpised at how good the stock suspension is, I would say it is the best of all the big 5. Unless you are a fast local pro or really heavy you should try dialing in your suspension by trying different fluid levels/viscosity/clicker adjustments, before you start throwing money away. You would be amazed at how good you can get it. I ride locally in the Master B class and I have no need to send my forks off.

I've done quite a few 01 forks for people in the valley and they like the results. You can call me @480-981-6386.

Gary

------------------
G-Man

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 17, 2001 - 11:38 AM

G-man did my 250F fork adjustments and fluid change and now he's really sorry he did. I think he is getting tired of me roosting him on the track ever since he fixed me up. :)

I'm ready for it G, let me have it... :D

• Jeepentj

Posted May 17, 2001 - 01:56 PM

I weigh about 240 with gear on so I know that the stock supsension isn't stiff enough. I have stiffer springs (spec'd from Race Tech) and the supsension is nice but still bottoms quite a bit especially on hard handings.

G-Man - Can you do rear suspension too or just forks?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • G-Man

Posted May 17, 2001 - 06:58 PM

Originally posted by Paul in AZ:
G-man did my 250F fork adjustments and fluid change and now he's really sorry he did. I think he is getting tired of me roosting him on the track ever since he fixed me up. :)

Actually Paul I was glad to help you due to the fact you need all the help you can get!!
:D

As far as roosting on me it musta been one of those dreams your always having, just hope it wasn't wet!! :D

G

• G-Man

Posted May 17, 2001 - 07:03 PM

Originally posted by Jeepentj:
I weigh about 240 with gear on so I know that the stock supsension isn't stiff enough. I have stiffer springs (spec'd from Race Tech) and the supsension is nice but still bottoms quite a bit especially on hard handings.

G-Man - Can you do rear suspension too or just forks?

Sorry Jeepentj, not equipped in my factory to do forks. Cliff Piper is a fellow competitor of mine and does good work. Only problem is he's usually swamped and his place is quite a distance from the East Valley. I would schedule an appt. so you don't have a lot of down time.

So you have stiffer springs in your forks, where is the fluid level set at? Stock is 130mm.

Where are your clickers at?

------------------
G-Man

• Jeepentj

Posted May 18, 2001 - 05:25 AM

G-Man,

The oil height is stock. Pro Circuit told me to change the oil height from 130 to 95 which I'm planning on doing this weekend. I backed out the compression clickers two clicks from stock (can't remember where that leaves them) because they were a bit harsh on braking bumps for my taste. Rebound is stock. The forks feel great I just need to add bottoming resistance.

I think I might be able to tune the rear with the clickers. The sag was set in the rear and the compression was increased 3 clicks for added bottoming resistance.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks for your help.

David

• Maicoman

Posted May 18, 2001 - 05:49 AM

Has anyone tried Bernie's Cycle Service lately ? ( 480-835-1420), they were trying to specialize in suspension work , but their tech (Steve L.) quit. You may want to call and ask Tim ( the owner).
Also if your an AZOT , you get a 10-20 % discount.

• G-Man

Posted May 18, 2001 - 08:19 AM

David,
Yes raising the fluid level to 95mm should help a bunch, then you will be able to open the compression clickers even more. Put a Ty-wrap around the fork leg to measure if you are using all your travel after this. Then you can dial in your compression accordingly.

If the shock spring is stock you should look into bumping that up too.

G

• F-Pilot

Posted May 18, 2001 - 02:54 PM

The high-speed knob will really work on the bottoming, in for big bumps and jumps out for smaller chop and holes. Try some big changes (1-2 turns) and then dial it in to your liking.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.