'00 426 notched clutch basket - options?

6 replies to this topic
  • banda

Posted May 24, 2011 - 05:17 AM

Don't get mad at me for asking about '00 426 clutches - there's a lot of stuff in threads here already, and that's my problem - there's a little too much for me to digest.

So I know that there are some part swaps with '01 plates and rods that are popular. I know that aftermarket baskets for the '00 are non-existent.

My basket has notched fingers. I would like a lighter pull and smoother engagement.

I bought my bike used, and I don't know if the clutch parts are original.

How do I tell what I've got? Or does it matter? Should I get a '01-'02 basket and rod? Do I also need a new boss?

What are my options?

Thanks in advance for your help

• silentv311

Posted May 25, 2011 - 04:56 PM

Just my opinion, I would stick to Factory OEM parts if you are not sure about parts exchange from later models or, purchase a Hinsen Clutch Basket designed for your year model and make. :smirk:)

• 383firebird

Posted May 26, 2011 - 04:20 AM

I would file down and polish the fingers on your basket. I have done it and know others that have too with good results. Unless you wanna spend the money for new parts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • banda

Posted May 26, 2011 - 04:40 PM

I would file down and polish the fingers on your basket. I have done it and know others that have too with good results. Unless you wanna spend the money for new parts.

Well, heck, that makes sense.

Ok, so a follow-on question. If it's time for new clutch plates, how do I go about identifying whether I have a '00 clutch or a '01 clutch? Does it even matter for clutch plate replacement?

• 383firebird

Posted May 27, 2011 - 03:41 AM

if you look in the oem parts section and compare steels ,fibers and basket part #s they are they same for 00-02. i have always heard the 426 has a solid clutch and i have never had issues with oem parts.

• nsanerod

Posted May 30, 2011 - 06:50 PM

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink - You can see the grooves in the clutch basket. They look like little squares where the friction plates rub. You can also see the file I used.
https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink - Here is the "after" picture showing it smooth.

I had the same problem. I bought a used RMZ 450 and the clutch was grabby. I did some research and found the following advice:

-File off the basket to eliminate grooves.

I am no mechanic and I was able to do just this. Now, it is like butter! Pics show what I did. Keep in mind you have to remove the clutch basket. Be sure to clean everything before reinstall to get rid of metal shavings.

• banda

Posted June 03, 2011 - 09:05 AM

Guys, thank you for pointing me in this direction. I will get in there with a file and let you know how it goes.

But - and I'm ashamed to say this - I replaced the clutch cable and lever, and thoroughly cleaned the clutch perch. The difference is like night and day. The lever action is buttery smooth, and the adjuster is a thousand times easier to operate. I think it could all be even better, so I'll get in there with the file and replace the plates, and I'll see what I get.

Thanks again.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.