problem with idle

6 replies to this topic
  • The Hopper Show

Posted May 23, 2011 - 10:16 PM

so my wr does not like to idle very well, and hasn't since i bought it a couple months ago. when riding, the bike seems to repsond very well. but when i slow and come to a stop...say waiting for a riding buddy to catch up or whatever...my bike will kind of idle/sputter for a bit and then die. and it is very easy to blip the throttle at this time and have it imediately bog and die. i have been playing with my idle screw and i have it right in the sweet spot of opened up enough but not having a hanging idle. i really do not know where to start to correct this problem. remember, this is happening with the bike fully warmed up during trail riding, and it obviously happens when i just fire the bike up and it is warming itself up.

also, if it matters, riding slow in first gear with the throttle just a little cracked open...say 5 mph...the bike sputters quite a bit. not a sputter as in wanting to die, but a sputter as in kinda jerky with the power if that makes sense.

i am still planned on jd jet kit after free mods (not done at this time). will this help with my problem, or is there something else that could be an issue?

and would i get a better response if i cross posted this into the jetting forum?

thanks in advance. :smirk:

• MANIAC998

Posted May 24, 2011 - 04:13 AM

What year bike? 2005 I'm guessing. How abused? Did you check your valve clearances? Have you done any of the free mods, like opening up your exhaust & airbox? We need more information. Maniac

• Sknight

Posted May 24, 2011 - 04:34 AM

From what you have here you have a blockage in the idle circuit or your idle screw is too far in. Obviously your idle is hurt by it but your cracked throttle will suffer also because that's a transition point from idle to your main jets.

I'd recommend going through the carb and that would be a great time for the JD jet kit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miweber929

Posted May 24, 2011 - 04:45 AM

Sounds like your pilot circuit is lean. Have you adjusted it based on the sticky William wrote? If not, start there.

FYI, Idle speed has nothing to do with a hanging idle so you must have something else going on. Like a partially plugged pilot jet, sticky throttle cable or an air leak somewhere.

Otherwise it'll be time for the jet kit.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 24, 2011 - 07:38 AM

- Get a good fuel screw
- Replace your pilot jet with a fresh one
- If the jets are stock, get a JD kit
- Replace the Slide plate seal on the front of the slide
- Adjust fuel screw

• The Hopper Show

Posted May 24, 2011 - 04:02 PM

What year bike? 2005 I'm guessing. How abused? Did you check your valve clearances? Have you done any of the free mods, like opening up your exhaust & airbox? We need more information. Maniac

yes its a 2005. very easily ridden never abused. has exactly 516.4 miles on it (and yes i know that for a fact). valves have never been checked. and as stated above, nothing has been done to the bike as far as free mods. or any mods for that matter. it is 100% stock. just routine oil/air filter changes and fiddling with the idle screw. :smirk:

• The Hopper Show

Posted May 24, 2011 - 04:13 PM

Sounds like your pilot circuit is lean. Have you adjusted it based on the sticky William wrote? If not, start there.

FYI, Idle speed has nothing to do with a hanging idle so you must have something else going on. Like a partially plugged pilot jet, sticky throttle cable or an air leak somewhere.

Otherwise it'll be time for the jet kit.

i have not adjusted anything as of yet except for playing with the idle screw. from the hanging idle sticky above is where i got the idea to adjust the idle screw to the sweet spot for not having the hanging idle. :smirk:

throttle cable seems to be just fine. where might i try to look for an air leak?

i think a plugged jet is a high possibility. i wanted to ask questions before taking things apart though. this bike has not been ridden a ton. has sat, but not for months on end, and has always had clear premium run through it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.