yfz piston in a yz?

5 replies to this topic
  • danzick

Posted May 23, 2011 - 08:01 PM

got a yz450f, and i found some good deals on a high compression gytr piston but it says its for a yfz. i kinda figured the yfz and the yz were mostly the same accept some head parts and the bottom case. but it could be that the stroke is different also.

• grayracer513

Posted May 23, 2011 - 08:09 PM

The '04 YFZ450 was a 439cc engine with a shorter stroke. The piston is different

• danzick

Posted May 24, 2011 - 05:49 AM

well the piston is the same diameter right? just the shorter stroke makes it only a 439 im hopping or else i better get a big bore lol. oh and what is a good piston? should i just go with he stock one? ive heard the stock 04s had a pretty decent power plant from stock. one more thing, i need some new o rings for the oil lines going from the frame to the block, can i just get those at ace or something or does that need to be a yamaha part.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nitronaf

Posted May 24, 2011 - 06:06 AM

yfz pistons have a bigger wrist pin. 20mm i believe.
a common mod the quad guys do is a WR crank conversion because the piston is stronger :smirk:

• grayracer513

Posted May 24, 2011 - 12:56 PM

well the piston is the same diameter right? just the shorter stroke makes it only a 439 im hopping or else i better get a big bore lol. oh and what is a good piston? should i just go with he stock one? ive heard the stock 04s had a pretty decent power plant from stock. one more thing, i need some new o rings for the oil lines going from the frame to the block, can i just get those at ace or something or does that need to be a yamaha part.

Let me say that more plainly: The piston from an '08 or earlier YFZ won't fit.

• danzick

Posted May 24, 2011 - 04:42 PM

yeah, im not worried about it fitting anymore, i realize it wont work. now im just making sure the stock one is the right choice before i go buy one. i do mostly mountain riding, and like 5 dunes trips a year where i need good power for racing people up choke cherry in st Anthony Idaho. no mx racing.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.