Flywheel Weight - Good or Bad

12 replies to this topic
  • john.hilton@cape.k12.de.u

Posted May 17, 2001 - 03:55 AM

I have always raced 250 MX two-stroke bikes off road and in Hare Scrambles. I'm thinking of getting a new 01 YZ 426 to ride in tight east coast ( mountains of PA ) woods. A large part of my riding area is fairly open, plus some hill climbs and lots of tight woods. I am assuming that changing the gearing to 14/52 will help, but I'm also wondering if a 10 oz. flywheel weight would help. Have any of you added a flywheel weight to your 426, and if so are you happy with it?
Thanks for your time.
John

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 17, 2001 - 04:22 AM

John,

I too am from PA and I think the weight is a life saver in the wood. It saves alot of stalls and kicking as well as making the power more handelable. Where do you live?

Nick

[This message has been edited by npuza (edited 05-17-2001).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 17, 2001 - 05:02 AM

Hey guys, both from PA, I live in scranton, but I go home every weekend to Troy, PA where you guys at? We have some good riding land including a 8 mile hare scramble loop and our club MX track that we just built. Let's get hooked up and tear it up sometime. At our track we have place to camp and hopefully coming soon a pavilion. Send me a reply or email me at mayge@corning.com
later

• c2

Posted May 17, 2001 - 05:27 AM

I'm a PA boy also, right on the Mason-Dixon line, Gettysburg. I put a 12oz. on my WR400 and I would not go back, ever. It really shines in the tight, steep, rocky PA hills. It is so luggable. I never stall anymore picking my way up and thru rock fields. The power delivery is perfect. Just my .02.

Posted May 17, 2001 - 05:36 AM

Actually I live in Delaware, but I spend most of my riding time at a club called Tower City. It's about 40 minutes north of Lebanon PA, and there are about 12000 acres of trails, hill, open area etc.. My modified KX 250 worked well on the tight stuff, but feels real short of breath on the open stuff. In just sort of in the mood for a 4-stroke, and the YZ 246 seems like the best.

• c2

Posted May 17, 2001 - 05:42 AM

I ride just above T.C. sometimes in MT. Carmel. Basically same as T.C..

Originally posted by john.hilton@cape.k12.de.u:
Actually I live in Delaware, but I spend most of my riding time at a club called Tower City. It's about 40 minutes north of Lebanon PA, and there are about 12000 acres of trails, hill, open area etc.. My modified KX 250 worked well on the tight stuff, but feels real short of breath on the open stuff. In just sort of in the mood for a 4-stroke, and the YZ 246 seems like the best.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • enmerdeur

Posted May 17, 2001 - 05:47 AM

I have a 10 oz. on my 400 that is sweet. I ride out here in the open desert of Utah and love it. If I were in the east I would go with the 12 oz.

------------------
SHN
99'YZ-400 (Mine)
00' TT-R 125 (Hers)
91' KX-125 (Son #1)
93' CR-80 (Just sold it. Looking for another TTR125 for Son #2)
99' PW-80 (Son #3)

• Jason_in_KC

Posted May 17, 2001 - 06:20 AM

I just put a 12oz on my 01yz426. I think it is great, I first practiced on a small track. Was able to hook up better for a 3rd gear jump out of a right hander. I lugged around up a small but steep hill in first and when rolled on the front would climb to the air very controlled. I like it, I also run 13/50 gearing for the MO/KS scrambles. I can't see myself taking it off for any reason, and it doesn't affect the revs, grab a handful and let her eat,those behind you will wish there weren't.

• Amador

Posted May 17, 2001 - 06:39 AM

Weight=Traction Traction=good go for the 12oz.

• elroyona426

Posted May 17, 2001 - 07:12 AM

I though the YZ was a purpose built MX bike...why don't you go buy the WR?

Posted May 17, 2001 - 07:38 AM

I not AS interested in the WR because of a couple of reasons. First, there is the matter of the extra 13 or so pounds. I'm used to a 227 lb. 250 two-stroke, a 260 lb. four-stroke is a big adjustment, a 245 lb. 4S is a smaller adjustment. Also, I don't feel like fooling with the restrictive parts on the WR. Then there is all this talk of the WR's seat tank junction being annoying, I've only heard of this, not actually experienced it. Also, coming from a super responsive 250 MX bike, I like the hit and throttle response of the YZ. I have only rode a 99' YZ 400, and that thing ripped, I can imagine that the 01' 426 is going to be even better.
I really wouldn't be opposed to getting a WR, however, I would rather have the YZ.
John

• dhvann

Posted May 17, 2001 - 05:04 PM

I have a 01 yz426 with the Steahly 12oz weights, and its great! I also have 14/53 gears and I believe this bike could scale a skyscraper, it has so much torque. I mostly ride woods and light mx. You cant go wrong with the 12oz flywheel.

Originally posted by john.hilton@cape.k12.de.u:
I have always raced 250 MX two-stroke bikes off road and in Hare Scrambles. I'm thinking of getting a new 01 YZ 426 to ride in tight east coast ( mountains of PA ) woods. A large part of my riding area is fairly open, plus some hill climbs and lots of tight woods. I am assuming that changing the gearing to 14/52 will help, but I'm also wondering if a 10 oz. flywheel weight would help. Have any of you added a flywheel weight to your 426, and if so are you happy with it?
Thanks for your time.
John

• EMARacing

Posted May 18, 2001 - 03:30 PM

Originally posted by Amador:
Weight=Traction Traction=good go for the 12oz.

If 12oz. is good then 14oz. is better. Terrycable has a 14oz. for the 2000-2001. I run this with 13/49 for tight woods. Works awesome.

------------------
John E. Walker

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.