09 yz450f front sproket leak

8 replies to this topic
  • charles_guy91

Posted May 23, 2011 - 04:50 PM

I just put my bike back together after a winter tune up, never touched the front sproket. Never leaked before but as soon as i started her up a low leak started dripping from my front sproket. I did put her on her side so i could open up the clutch. Would that have caused this? Anyone with advice would be awesome. Thanks!!

• yz450fcranker

Posted May 23, 2011 - 11:31 PM

maybe its time for a new sprocket

• dirtcrow

Posted May 23, 2011 - 11:39 PM

Your counter shaft oil seal might be worn and needs replacement.

• jratcliffe3

Posted May 24, 2011 - 12:27 AM

New seal needed

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dgcars

Posted May 24, 2011 - 12:53 AM

Remove the sprocket, pop out the old seal and press in a new one. Give everything a thorough clean first. :smirk:

• RiderX

Posted May 24, 2011 - 05:33 AM

If you have any problems getting it out one trick is to run a small wood screw into the metal part of the seal a little bit so you have something to grab a hold of to pull it out.

Oh, and don't forget to lube the lip of the seal up with some motor oil before you install it.

• charles_guy91

Posted June 06, 2011 - 01:56 PM

So got my new seal, tried a few times to get the old seal out with no luck, tried the wood screw idea but couldn't get it to hold, maybe it was to big of a screw, gonna try again tommorrow. Any more tips would be greatful. thanks again guys

• grayracer513

Posted June 06, 2011 - 02:24 PM

Two approaches to take:

First:
  • Using a punch or screwdriver blade, tap around the edges of the seal, driving it IN a small amount. This will break the bond between the case and seal.
  • Using a wire hook, machinist's pick, etc., pull the seal out.

Or:
  • Remove the steel collar from the output shaft
  • Insert a tool under the seal and pry it out

You can often just catch the outer edge with a small screwdriver or knife blade and pluck them out that way.

If the collar doesn't want to slide off:
  • Tap the output shaft straight in toward the opposite side of the case. This will break the bond between the O-ring on the output shaft and the collar.
  • With the trans in gear, grab the collar with a pair of pliers and turn it on the shaft as you pull.

• There is an O-ring on the shaft under the collar. Replace it.
  • The collar may have a groove worn in it by the seal. If so, replace it.
  • Don't install the seal too deeply. Insert it no farther than flush with the case.
  • The undercut side of the sprocket (if it has one) goes IN.

• charles_guy91

Posted June 09, 2011 - 09:54 AM

Using your advice got it off and new one on! Works great, get some good riding in this weekend finaly thanks!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.