Fuel screw keep vibrating closed

13 replies to this topic
  • jasen 2007

Posted May 23, 2011 - 03:51 PM

Anyone ever have issues with there aftermarket fuel screw vibrating closed or near closed? Mine keeps doing this and it's getting kind of annoying. Its on my 05 yz. It has all its parts (in the correct order) I did try to slightly lengthen the spring, but still does it. I'm not sure what brand screw it is, it has a second o ring that seals around where it passes through the float bowl. Is this just a case where I replace the fuel screw or can I fix this?

• grayracer513

Posted May 23, 2011 - 04:00 PM

Is the spring the original, or the one that came with the screw? I find that the OEM spring works best.

• Bobbed06

Posted May 23, 2011 - 04:33 PM

I was thinking of buying one of these SRP fuel screws to complete the rebuild of my carb and am wondering if I should leave it stock due to all of the "My Aftermarket fuel screw fell out stories"

If I leave my bike completely stock will I need to tinker with the fuel screw? I recorded the setting upon disassembly and it did start very easy when I bought the bike.

I am gonna go ahead and snag an aluminum hot start nut for sure.

• jasen 2007

Posted May 23, 2011 - 05:45 PM

Gray, I'm not sure it came with the bike. I'll order one and see what happens. Is there in your opinion one fuel screw that works better than another? Not that its the screw that's giving me trouble, just curious.

• todds924

Posted May 23, 2011 - 10:12 PM

If you can stay away from the aluminum ones.
Brass is the way to go, just like the stock one. I had a brass one that had a nice little "t" fitting on the end.I Forget what brand though. Also I have notived the tips on some of the aftermarket ones are shaped a little different than stock.

• grayracer513

Posted May 24, 2011 - 12:29 PM

If you can stay away from the aluminum ones.
Brass is the way to go, just like the stock one. I had a brass one that had a nice little "t" fitting on the end.I Forget what brand though. Also I have notived the tips on some of the aftermarket ones are shaped a little different than stock.

No argument there. I have had good luck with the Zip-Ty screws, but I always chuck their springs in the hardware drawer and use the OEM one.

• todds924

Posted May 24, 2011 - 08:00 PM

No argument there. I have had good luck with the Zip-Ty screws, but I always chuck their springs in the hardware drawer and use the OEM one.

Have you ever actually looked at the tips and compared some aftermarket ones to stock ones? Not good.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 24, 2011 - 09:30 PM

Have you ever actually looked at the tips and compared some aftermarket ones to stock ones? Not good.

Some of them aren't even close.

• todds924

Posted May 26, 2011 - 08:36 PM

Some of them aren't even close.

Amazing thing..makes it kinda hard to tune proper.

• YamaLink

Posted May 27, 2011 - 05:25 AM

I had mine close (not open) years ago but the brass + oem spring combo has been flawless since.

• Wrangler1

Posted May 27, 2011 - 11:54 AM

I had the same problem and went with a R&D Flex-Jet set up. It adjusts beautifully and NEVER moves. Good Luck.

• jasen 2007

Posted May 27, 2011 - 05:35 PM

I just got a new oem spring, Ill try it out this weekend.

• eazrider

Posted May 29, 2011 - 12:08 AM

I lost one of the aftermarket screws on an '04. I took the carb off, and very carefully drilled a hole in the float bowl body adjacent to where the screw passes through the bowl and inserted a very small "hitch pin clip" in just the right place so if I got a little sloppy and loose with the fuel screw, there was no way it would come out without popping the clip out of the bowl first. Never lost another fuel screw on the '04, or my subsequent '06 either....The ultimate solution, of course, was to pick up a 2010 with fuel injection....never had an issue with the fuel screw at all after that....:smirk:

• Michigantrailrider

Posted May 29, 2011 - 03:45 PM

I had the same problem and went with a R&D Flex-Jet set up. It adjusts beautifully and NEVER moves. Good Luck.

I totally agree, I have a R&D Flex-Jet on of both of my bikes and they are great. They are made of brass and not only do they stay in position, but they make it much easier to tune your carb.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.