2001 yz426 or 2000 yamaha blaster?

4 replies to this topic
  • troykovach

Posted May 22, 2011 - 05:30 PM

i have a 2000 yamha blaster that has no spark kinda beat up and im considering trading for a 2001 yz426f four stroke i has to be put back together he said he ajusted the timing way wrong and the piston hit the valves it comes with all the gaskets the whole complete cylinder head with the valves and everything i would just have to buy the piston thats it but would i have to ajust the time and valves should i even trade i need help

• Dirt-rich

Posted May 22, 2011 - 05:45 PM

He'll yeah do it Blasters are a dime a dozen and can be bought for under $1000 all day and even if the 426 is a project it's beTter to have a garage ornament then a blaster IMO

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bobbed06

Posted May 22, 2011 - 06:08 PM

Blasters are lame, have no brakes, and unless you are 4ft tall,weigh around 100lbs in gear, and throw a load of cash at them they arent worth riding. Stick with your project bike and do what you can as funds and time allow. The 426 guys really love them. They all cant be wrong.:smirk:

• pscook

Posted May 22, 2011 - 07:08 PM

If the piston touched the valves you may need to replace all of the valves. Considering that it's a 2001 426 the OEM valves are titanium and not cheap. At all. Also, the valve guides may be bad as the valves may have bent and damaged the guides. Your options are to replace the complete valve train with OEM for ~$600 if you search eBay, or get SS valves from a '98-2000 YZ. If you get the SS valves you will need the valves, springs, and valve keepers. It will be a lot cheaper than the ti valves, that's for sure, and you probably won't notice any loss of performance. You will want a new cam chain, too, and they only cost $35 from Yamaha. You might not have to buy a new piston because the valves usually bend before the piston gets damaged. That will save you $130 or so.

Since you are in there, you may want to drop $150 on a new exhaust cam with the auto-decompression. It supposedly makes it easier to start, but I haven't found a need for it.

Post up if you have any questions and good luck! These bikes are awesome when they run right.

• Yamaryder29

Posted May 23, 2011 - 05:11 AM

Blasters are lame, have no brakes, and unless you are 4ft tall,weigh around 100lbs in gear, and throw a load of cash at them they arent worth riding. Stick with your project bike and do what you can as funds and time allow. The 426 guys really love them. They all cant be wrong.:smirk:

I can't disagree. I've seen people riding blasters and there for 12 yr olds. I also just purchased a 2000 yz426. This weekend was the first time I really got to ride it and I absolutely love it and you will to. I'd go for that deal. There are plenty of people on this site, including myself, that have rebuilt these bikes and have the knowledge to help you through it. Good Luck!!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.