coolant

9 replies to this topic
  • Sean_yz450f

Posted May 19, 2011 - 03:59 AM

I just bought an 03 450. What coolant do u recommend using?

• Sean_yz450f

Posted May 19, 2011 - 06:03 AM

I guess any coolant will do as no one has made any recommendations. I hear twin air seem to be the air filters of choice for this bike. Is that correct?

• Sean_yz450f

Posted May 19, 2011 - 06:15 AM

While I'm thinking of it, I paid $1000 for the bike as it needed some valve work. While its apart any upgrades I should consider?

• grayracer513

Posted May 19, 2011 - 07:19 AM

I guess any coolant will do as no one has made any recommendations. I hear twin air seem to be the air filters of choice for this bike. Is that correct?

So you got on an Internet forum at 5:00 AM Pacific Daylight time, asked a question, and you think 2 hours is an unreasonable amount of time to wait for an answer? OK :smirk:

Maybe you think this is a paid service and our huge staff of salaried experts is available 24-7 to jump all over your problems? Not. Patience... :smirk:

The factory recommends either ethylene glycol or propylene glycol coolant at a 50/50 mix. You can simply use any good automotive product EXCEPT Dex-Cool for the purpose and mix your own or buy it ready mixed. There are also "motorcycle coolants" available that are basically just the same stuff in ready to use form, and sold in smaller containers at somewhat higher prices per gallon. These are mostly just more convenient, but one or two do seem to work a little better than others.

The bike will run on straight distilled water just fine as long as no low speed trail riding is done, but will boil at around 230 ℉ with a good cap. Most riders are better served by a 50/50 mix that boils closer to 270 ℉. For the extreme off-roader who has to battle his way through 20 minutes at a time of boulder littered climbs, there are coolants like the Evans and Zip-Ty lines that won't boil until about 400 ℉. That much heat isn't good for anything, but it is better than boiling over and having no coolant at all.

Download a manual:

http://www.yamaha-mo...uals/index.aspx
http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

• Sean_yz450f

Posted May 19, 2011 - 08:25 AM

Thank u for your input and sorry for the lack of patience I'm new to the sit and just trying to get a feel for it. Seems to be a great site full of useful info.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sean_yz450f

Posted May 19, 2011 - 08:31 AM

Another question. The bike has a gytr exhaust. Does the muffler need to be repacked? And if so how often?

• grayracer513

Posted May 19, 2011 - 08:37 AM

All straight through exhausts I'm aware of, the stockers included, need an occasional repacking. The interval is hard top pin down exactly. It depends on too many variables. If it seems unreasonably loud, it probably needs it. There's no sure way to tell but to look.

• Sean_yz450f

Posted May 19, 2011 - 10:09 AM

That's what I figured. If u go to long without repacking what long term effects could it have?

• grayracer513

Posted May 19, 2011 - 10:21 AM

That's what I figured. If u go to long without repacking what long term effects could it have?

An engine with an unpacked muffler won't perform as well as with a freshly packed one, but it won't hurt the engine. It can lead to the perf core falling apart from vibration and lack of support.

• Sean_yz450f

Posted May 19, 2011 - 11:06 AM

Ok thanks for the help. Now not sure if anyone can help with this one but I got a msg about using a pop up blocker and I browse on my blackberry. I am not sure how to turn pop up blocker off and want to continue using the site

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.