• Ryan426

Posted May 18, 2011 - 06:17 PM

sweet!~

• Yamaryder29

Posted May 18, 2011 - 07:12 PM

Looks good. Wish I had one.:smirk:

• RiderX

Posted May 18, 2011 - 07:22 PM

For cold starting try twisting the throttle 3 times and pull the cold start choke, then kick.

• dvn

Posted May 19, 2011 - 12:55 AM

For cold starting try twisting the throttle 3 times and pull the cold start choke, then kick.

+1 Mine was a bitch when new as well. It will start great once you get the procedure down and get a couple hours on it. Great bike! :smirk:

• yz450fcranker

Posted May 19, 2011 - 04:55 AM

get her fired up and ride all day till it gets tired

• BlueMagiC

Posted May 19, 2011 - 04:57 AM

I remember when i 1st started riding big Yamaha 4 strokes and how hard they were to start...until i learned 1 thing...NEVER touch the gas when starting them. At least none of the 426's or 450's ive ridden.

• Yamaryder29

Posted May 19, 2011 - 05:07 AM

I remember when i 1st started riding big Yamaha 4 strokes and how hard they were to start...until i learned 1 thing...NEVER touch the gas when starting them. At least none of the 426's or 450's ive ridden.

That's what I was also told about 8 years ago when I had my first 250f and have obeyed by that rule. Never had issues starting this way. Everyone has there own technique, you just have to learn what works for you.

• Polar_Bus

Posted May 19, 2011 - 06:36 AM

My '07 450 likes a pump or two on the gas no matter what when cold. I'ts when the engines are hot that you DON'T want any raw fuel ingested into the engine, otherwise you will be kicking for 15 min straight with the hot start pulled to get them lit off again ! :smirk:

• cowboyona426

Posted May 19, 2011 - 06:41 AM

Must move bars forward/man boobs in way

:smirk:
My 06 450 likes a few twists of the throttle on cold starts as well. You'll just have to figure out what works best for your bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • capt justin

Posted May 19, 2011 - 06:53 AM

my buds 2006 yz450 likes 3 whacks on the throttle then kick giving it NO gas, maybe lift the choke when cold but thats it. starts less then 3 kicks most times

• sledtrash

Posted May 19, 2011 - 06:55 AM

depends on if it's cold or not. If it's hot outside yes. but in the cold 3-4 pump's will give the engine enough gas to fire up. Instead of having to tip it on it's side like some of the older big bore bikes. :smirk:

Edited by sledtrash, May 19, 2011 - 07:13 AM.

• BlueMagiC

Posted May 19, 2011 - 07:04 AM

While we are on the subject of the various ways of starting these beasts, i need to say that the only time my 03 450 absolutely refuses to start is when it is hot and the bike is dropped or laid over on its side. At this point i basically just let it sit for 10-15 mins because it simply WILL NOT start no matter what i do...is this a common problem?

• RiderX

Posted May 19, 2011 - 07:19 AM

This is true for any four stroke bike that's at normal operating temp, but a cold motor (by cold I mean not run yet) 2-3 twists of the throttle BEFORE you kick will save you some kicking, guaranteed. Try it.

• BlueMagiC

Posted May 19, 2011 - 07:21 AM

This is true for any four stroke bike that's at normal operating temp, but a cold motor (by cold I mean not run yet) 2-3 twists of the throttle BEFORE you kick will save you some kicking, guaranteed. Try it.

Mine starts 1st or 2nd kick every time when its cold with no twists, maybe im just lucky.

• RiderX

Posted May 19, 2011 - 07:22 AM

While we are on the subject of the various ways of starting these beasts, i need to say that the only time my 03 450 absolutely refuses to start is when it is hot and the bike is dropped or laid over on its side. At this point i basically just let it sit for 10-15 mins because it simply WILL NOT start no matter what i do...is this a common problem?

In this situation I pull the hotstart and hold the throttle wide open and kick about 10 times to clear it out. Then I close the throttle and kick. Usually works.

• BlueMagiC

Posted May 19, 2011 - 07:26 AM

In this situation I pull the hotstart and hold the throttle wide open and kick about 10 times to clear it out. Then I close the throttle and kick. Usually works.

Wouldnt holding the throttle wide open flood it even more?

• grayracer513

Posted May 19, 2011 - 07:27 AM

Next time you encounter that situation, try this: Open the throttle all the way and hold it there. Slowly turn the engine through about 4-5 compression strokes. Not fast, not hard, just move air through the engine. Take maybe 30-45 seconds to complete the process. Then close the throttle and try a start using the hot start with the throttle closed OR with the throttle cracked open about 1/6. Always worked for mine.

• BlueMagiC

Posted May 19, 2011 - 07:32 AM

Ill give that a try the next time i dont see that small stump going uphill (Thats what happened last time). Thanks grey.

Edited by BlueMagiC, May 19, 2011 - 10:36 AM.

• RiderX

Posted May 19, 2011 - 07:38 AM

Wouldnt holding the throttle wide open flood it even more?

It only gives one squirt on the initial opening of the throttle, which clears out when kicking while keeping it held open.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.