Hot Start Plunger Stuck, Attempt Removal or Do Without It?

12 replies to this topic
  • Bobbed06

Posted May 18, 2011 - 12:14 PM

I recently aquired a almost new 03 YZF 450 that has had about 6 tanks of fuel ran thru it. Naturally the bike sat most of its life and the carb needed gone through. Upon removal I discovered the Hot Start Plunger is corroded and stuck in the body. Grayracer has already provided excellent info regarding removal of this, however I am concerned that I may damage the carb and render the Hot Start useless.

Here is my question

If I do botch the removal of the Hot Start, is the carb still completely usable?
Can I block it off and forget about it?
Many guys say they NEVER use it anyways?

I am not going to attempt removal until I know more about this. This is my first 450 4 stroke as I have always ridden smokers until now, so if this question seems newbie it is because I am new to the race bred 4 strokers.

Here is a link to my original thread that I started but I thought I would make a more specific thread related to this topic.

http://www.thumperta...21#post10359321

• grayracer513

Posted May 18, 2011 - 12:19 PM

Your answer is in your other post:

http://www.thumperta...38#post10359338

• William1

Posted May 18, 2011 - 12:23 PM

If you are terrified about messing it up and that the bike sat forever, you can take the carb to a machine shop, explain what you need to have removed, explain the materials of the part and let them do it it or you can simply send the carb out to a good place for a proper cleaning in the correct solvent in a ultrasonic cleaner.

That all said... every person who has had a hot start plunger stick did get it out on thier own. Soak with PB Blaster, each morning before work, tapping gently with the handle of a screwdriver to vibrate the stuff in the nooks and crannies. Use a small slide hammer and pop it out.

• Bobbed06

Posted May 18, 2011 - 12:30 PM

If you are terrified about messing it up and that the bike sat forever, you can take the carb to a machine shop, explain what you need to have removed, explain the materials of the part and let them do it it or you can simply send the carb out to a good place for a proper cleaning in the correct solvent in a ultrasonic cleaner.

That all said... every person who has had a hot start plunger stick did get it out on thier own. Soak with PB Blaster, each morning before work, tapping gently with the handle of a screwdriver to vibrate the stuff in the nooks and crannies. Use a small slide hammer and pop it out.

I did consider sending the carb to Eddie Sisneros to have this removed, and have him overhaul it just to ease the process. However I have always done all of my own work on everything. I just didnt want to make it to where even he couldnt get the plunger out before resorting to that.

How do you attatch a slide hammer to the plunger?? By drilling and tapping the plunger and installing a screw like Grayracer said to do?

• William1

Posted May 18, 2011 - 12:46 PM

I did consider sending the carb to Eddie Sisneros to have this removed, and have him overhaul it just to ease the process. However I have always done all of my own work on everything. I just didnt want to make it to where even he couldnt get the plunger out before resorting to that.

Perfectly understandable. Try the PB Blaster for a few days and a reasonable effort. You sound like you know when to quit. I finally learned myself a few years ago and let guys that do a particualr job day in and day out do some things like getting a seized part removed. I make the best college try and if I fail, my pride is not too badly damaged, I let an expert at it do it. Cheaper than replacing the entire assembly.:smirk:

How do you attatch a slide hammer to the plunger?? By drilling and tapping the plunger and installing a screw like Grayracer said to do?

Exactly. You want to use a small slide hammer, like a 6 ounce one. Will not be much larger than a regular screwdriver.

• Bobbed06

Posted May 18, 2011 - 11:35 PM

Well, after no success in removal of the stuck Hot Start plunger I started to call on my old YFZ quad buddies. The YFZ 450 quad never had a hot start lever, it only had the plunger, spring and a block off cap on the carb. Basically rendering the Hot Start useless. Many of those guys had done kickstart conversions on their quads and reported 1-2 kick starts cold or hot assuming they jetted correctly. So I am going to proceed with cleaning out all of the old air filter that sucked in the carb, and do away with the Hot Start for now. This will only require a cluth perch bracket from a YZ250 and a Carb cap from a 06 YFZ450 quad and will make for a clean blockoff. I may regret it later, but at worst I will be in the same boat I am in now.

If Yamaha sent out a quad without a Hot Start from the factory I dont feel bad about blocking it off from my bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • todds924

Posted May 19, 2011 - 07:42 PM

Excellent advice on the PB blaster. I have had great results with that and a little heat. Then you can use a flat blade screwdriver and try to gently twist the plunger in the carb bore to loosen it up. the "ears that hold the cable will break off easy but your gonna get a new plunger anyway right?

• Bobbed06

Posted May 19, 2011 - 08:15 PM

I have almost completesly dissassembled the carb and found the worst case of rotten carb i have ever seen in my 20 years of riding!! The Berrymans B12 carb cleaner and a touch of WD40 and the inside of the body looks new again. The 3 jets in the bowl were trashed though and pitted too badly to reuse so i will be buying new ones for that. 3 days of PB blaster have taken alot of corrosion out of the hot start bore so I did give that another attempt at removal. I used a screwdriver as mentioned above comboned with needle nose pliers to attempt twisting the plunger within the bore to no avail. I have broked the ears off of the plunger now and I have been toying with the idea of drilling the plunger with a 3/32 bit and tapping it so I can install a bolt like grayracer told me to do.
However the voices in my head keeps saying leave well enough alone and be done with it, and the other says fix it properly and dont be a moron :smirk:

Question.... I havent removed the slide yet and the service manual doesnt say much about it. To remove the slide do I just take out the screw that holds the slide lifter correct?? I tried and it was awful tight, so I thought I would confirm this before attempting removal.

One more thing I did notice the 2nd hole that Grayracer mentioned to soak with PB so I will be soaking the plunger at both the top and the orifice within the slide chamber now.

• todds924

Posted May 23, 2011 - 10:23 PM

Use the PB Blaster WITH HEAT!

• Bobbed06

Posted May 24, 2011 - 03:45 AM

i fixed it already, thank you anyways :smirk:

• todds924

Posted May 24, 2011 - 08:02 PM

i fixed it already, thank you anyways :smirk:

How did you fix it???

• Bobbed06

Posted May 25, 2011 - 04:33 AM

I broke the cable ears off, then drilled a tiny pilot hole. Then I drilled a larger hole with a 4-40 drill bit and tap kit from lowes. Threaded in a 4-40 x 1 1/4 screw with a nut already installed on it through 2 washers (1 large as plunger hole, 1 small enough to prevent 4-40 nut from going through washers) and tightened down the nut and it drew the plunger out very easily.

The whole setup cost me about 7 bux in hardware. I drilled approx 1/4 inch into the plunger. This info was given to me by Grayracer.....and it worked flawlessly. :smirk:

I then ordered all new rubber pieces and a Hot Start plunger, float needle, jets all from Thumpertalk, because the stock jets were wasted. The bike is like new so I figured I should rebuild the carb top to bottom so it performs as new.

Edited by Bobbed06, May 25, 2011 - 04:57 AM.

• todds924

Posted May 26, 2011 - 08:26 PM

I broke the cable ears off, then drilled a tiny pilot hole. Then I drilled a larger hole with a 4-40 drill bit and tap kit from lowes. Threaded in a 4-40 x 1 1/4 screw with a nut already installed on it through 2 washers (1 large as plunger hole, 1 small enough to prevent 4-40 nut from going through washers) and tightened down the nut and it drew the plunger out very easily.

The whole setup cost me about 7 bux in hardware. I drilled approx 1/4 inch into the plunger. This info was given to me by Grayracer.....and it worked flawlessly. :smirk:

I then ordered all new rubber pieces and a Hot Start plunger, float needle, jets all from Thumpertalk, because the stock jets were wasted. The bike is like new so I figured I should rebuild the carb top to bottom so it performs as new.

Sweet. way to do it yourself and save a bunch of money. Nice.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.