motor stop

3 replies to this topic
  • YZ450F4

Posted May 18, 2011 - 10:08 AM

I have a yz450 and it has just been rebuilt 10hours ago. i was out ridin the other day and on decel it stalled. couldnt get it started and it kicked back like a two stroke. i was not giving it throttle. Took it apart and the oil filter is covered with metal shavings. Under further inspection, the cams have groves in them but there is nothing in the head to rub on there? The exhaust cam DID NOt have the clip in it that goes in the cam cap though. But i dont think i over torqued the cam caps because i have a YFZ450 quad also and ive checked the valves on it and had to retorque them too. Help please. What do you all think the problem is and what needs to be replaced besides the cams? Anyone else ever had this trouble?? Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted May 18, 2011 - 10:57 AM

If the exhaust cam had no clip, there's no saying that it was correctly aligned left to right, and the sprocket, chain, and/or one or both cam lobes may have been hitting the cylinder head somewhere. You may have to send the head out to get the cam bores refinished, and replace anything that suffered any damage.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ450F4

Posted May 19, 2011 - 09:54 AM

How much would that be to get it refinished? and i know head are pretty expensive. like 900 bucks i think for a new one.

• grayracer513

Posted May 19, 2011 - 10:01 AM

A lot of times, damaged cam bores get fixed for around $250-350.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.