Anyone running a WR 5th gear?

3 replies to this topic
  • brentn

Posted May 17, 2011 - 03:39 PM

Curious to know if anyone is running a WR 5th gear only, and if it is even possible?
I really enjoy the MX gearing for the woods as it seems that I'm usually caught in the tight stuff, but there's the occasional fire road or straight that warrants a faster than stock 5th gear for me. Curious to know if this could be done, particularly with a 2010/11 bike.

Thanks for any and all feedback!

• grayracer513

Posted May 17, 2011 - 04:33 PM

As far as I know, you can do it, but, the results would be...weird. I've played with the ratios on paper and there is no combination of the two gearboxes mixed together that does not create an odd sort of gap somewhere. The best "mixed box" I think was a YZ with the WR 4th and 5th.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brentn

Posted May 17, 2011 - 06:28 PM

I was expecting there to be a big gap, as the ratios are so different between both transmissions.

Not a big deal IMO, not for my needs. Point is that I want to cruise the fire roads at around 110kph, but instead of at redline with the MX gear, it would hopefully be at like 6000-7000rpm??

• grayracer513

Posted May 17, 2011 - 07:51 PM

About 7500 with a 13/49 chain set. Interestingly, using the WR 4th gear would give you a first four almost exactly like the '03 4 speed, plus the 5th.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.