Possible problem.

7 replies to this topic
  • Yamiryder

Posted May 17, 2011 - 03:26 PM

I changed the oil and oil filter in my 07 yz450f yesterday. I didn't run it, so today i went out to check the oil level. I kicked it over about 10-15 times to get oil moving before i started, then let it run for about 2-3 minutes. When i checked it after about a minute after i shut it off, oil was coming out of the check hole when i pulled out the dipstick. It was somewhat foamy, bubbly looking. I have Yamalube 10w-50 semi-syn in it right now. It's not milky or anything, but I haven't had this happen before. I only ran it for a couple seconds after this, because i don't know what's going on. Please help!:smirk:

• grayracer513

Posted May 17, 2011 - 04:24 PM

Did you drain the oil from both drain points?

Did you change the filter or not?

How much oil did you add when you refilled?

• Yamiryder

Posted May 17, 2011 - 04:28 PM

Yes, i drained the crankcase and the oil tank. I put a new oil filter in it as well. I used exactly one LITER of oil when i did it...i'm just not sure what's going on. I might just change it again to see what happens.

• YZPaGuy

Posted May 17, 2011 - 04:31 PM

I have an 08 YZ450F. Mine did the same thing after an oil change and I thought I had a problem. Greyracer knows best but I think it is just a a heat thing. I let mine cool down and it didn't do it. The oil looked fine. That was 5 oil changes ago at least and I have had no problems what so ever. Had the bike gone over by a mechanic two weeks ago and there was no problems during there check either.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yamiryder

Posted May 17, 2011 - 04:37 PM

The first thing i thought was a head gasket and i was getting coolant in the motor, but my coolant level is fine and there is nothing in the coolant.

• grayracer513

Posted May 17, 2011 - 04:41 PM

I would simply run it for a few minutes and let it sit 5, then check it. Maybe consider a different oil. Air bubbles aren't unusual if it's opened too soon after it's shut off. The return pump has two or three times the volume of the feed pump so that it can always pump oil out of the sump faster than it gets there. As a result, that line is normally full of bubbles, and it end right where the dip stick drops through the case.

• wanawakeboard

Posted May 17, 2011 - 04:44 PM

if you reved that bike at all it will do that, just let it sit a bit longer before you check it...
make sure you put the right amount in (you did that) and relax... mine does the same thing especially if I blip the throttle a few times..

• Yamiryder

Posted May 17, 2011 - 04:49 PM

That makes sense. I blipped the throttle about 3 times...Thanks guys, I was a little worried!! :smirk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.