Chain slack- Final verdict?

6 replies to this topic
  • PK

Posted May 14, 2001 - 07:29 PM

After a buddy of mine destroyed his rear wheel when the sprocket broke off his 426, I wanna find out what the final verdict on the chain slack we should be running on the YZ400/426. I have been running 2 inches and at times I look at my bike and think, "Damn that's alot of slack!". So what's the verdict gentlemen?

Pat
99 YZ400

PS: Rock on Tim Ferry...

• DaveJ

Posted May 14, 2001 - 08:03 PM

The min in the book is 1.6. If you set this as a tight 1.6, you'll have problems. Anything over this and you should fine.

To be safe, get comfortable with your settings and the slack available at full extension (disconnect the shock and raise swing arm).

Hope that helps.

DaveJ

• motoman393

Posted May 15, 2001 - 03:40 AM

make sure you loctite the tapered heads on the 6 sprocket bolts! If you dont the torque of the engine will rip the sprocket off. It almost happened to me! My sprocket was hanging on by 2 bolts :) now it is just fine for about 4 months and I also havent adjusted my chain in 4 months! I guess I found the sweet spot @ around 2.1 inches!

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted May 15, 2001 - 06:10 AM

The 3 finger method has worked for me for years w/o any mechanical Chain or sprocket failures

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 15, 2001 - 06:46 PM

I use the 1 3/4" approach maybe a little more.
I tried going 1.6 and ended up hitting a HUGE g-out and ripping the sprocket forward on the left and the right side back???
Not quite sure 100% how the axle came loose but fought it for about 35 miles of touching the breaks and tweeking the bike one way and snap the throttle ----the bike twitched the other way! spooky!!!Got back to the truck at the finish and the axle seemed to be fine but had been pulled to an angle.
Since then I don't do the 1.6" anymore.
I figure a little too much is a lot better than the jarring of the "chain stop suspension" and wearing out $130 worth of chain/sprockets!

• blbainb

Posted May 15, 2001 - 07:29 PM

I tried several settings and found that anything less than ~1.9" would result in the chain 'stretching' back out to ~2.1" after 1 ride. Once I tried setting the slack close to the minimum stock setting and almost lost the rear hub and sprocket: all the bolts were loose and the sprocket actually rattled on the hub. Now I use 2" as a baseline and will let the slack increase up to 2.25" before readjusting.

• PK

Posted May 16, 2001 - 10:45 AM

Sounds like 2.1 inches to me. Thanks alot for all the replies.

Pat

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.