A few Q's for Grey and the other Yzf gods

11 replies to this topic
  • Dick Falcon

Posted May 17, 2011 - 06:57 AM

Ok guys ,Ive got a 09 yz 450f.i have 21 hare scrambles on the bike.latlely its running hot ,and it getting harder to start.im thinging it top end and cam chain time.What do you guys think??
k

• yz450fcranker

Posted May 17, 2011 - 07:11 AM

Get an Iridium spark plug cr8eix fill with new coolant unless you Want a piston go get one OEM pistons will fit right for another 21 hare scrambles if you are doing it again

• yz450fcranker

Posted May 17, 2011 - 07:12 AM

Also have that head off the bike and check all parts for wear and go do it yourself

• Dick Falcon

Posted May 17, 2011 - 07:56 AM

i just put a new plug and engine ice,its just not running right.how can i tell if the cam chain is stretched??

• rdefonce

Posted May 17, 2011 - 08:22 AM

i just put a new plug and engine ice,its just not running right.how can i tell if the cam chain is stretched??

Just be on the safe side and replace it.
harder starting could mean the valve clearances are out of spec. check the valve clearances and re-adjust if necessary (since you will have the valves off anyway if you swap out cam chain.)

• grayracer513

Posted May 17, 2011 - 09:12 AM

One good visual indication of the wear on a cam chain is how far it will curve laterally.

They are so cheap, though , that you should just install one as a routine item every season or so.

A leak down test will tell you a great deal about the condition of the top end and what it really needs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kawi380

Posted May 17, 2011 - 09:14 AM

I've found that hard starting seems to point to a valve issue. Cam chain problems could be tied in to that.

• carver

Posted May 17, 2011 - 09:19 AM

Harder to start and hot running also opens the possibility of dirty jets/passages.
It will usually also show that through a decel. popping, but cleaning the carb/jets also a consideration.

• yz450fcranker

Posted May 17, 2011 - 12:00 PM

tell me what you find when you are done because i have an 09 too and it starts first kick only when warm

• Dick Falcon

Posted May 17, 2011 - 12:39 PM

thanks guys,going takigi apart now.

• brentn

Posted May 17, 2011 - 03:58 PM

One good visual indication of the wear on a cam chain is how far it will curve laterally.

They are so cheap, though , that you should just install one as a routine item every season or so.

A leak down test will tell you a great deal about the condition of the top end and what it really needs.

What do you recommend for a replacement? OEM?
I'm guessing this isn't like changing a drive chain where both sprockets should be changed at the same time?

thx

• grayracer513

Posted May 17, 2011 - 04:36 PM

The manual says to change all the sprocket with it, but that means both cams and the crank. So, no, only the chain unless one of them is really terrible.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.