lean, rich or both

2 replies to this topic
  • thumpawoody

Posted August 22, 2003 - 03:17 AM

my 03 450 requires the hot start to start at any thing past cold (choke on).-indicating a rich mix
when running pulling the hot start raises the rpm considerably.- also indicating a rich mix
when backing of with over run popping is common.-indicating a lean mix
if I'm not mistaken these situaions would all run of the the idle circuit of the carb so why do the results contradict each other

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tctrailrider

Posted August 22, 2003 - 08:48 AM

Thumpa,
On decel a lean pilot will cause a loud bang or two. Popping on acceleration but bang on decel.

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 22, 2003 - 02:06 PM

You can get banging and sputtering sounds from being to rich at decel off the throttle. It sounds distinctly different from a lean popping at decel but some people can get the two mixed up. Once you have jetted to both lean and rich in the same day you will know the difference. I think you are running rich by the sounds of it. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.