stiff clutch on 04 yz450f

4 replies to this topic
  • jer500

Posted May 16, 2011 - 10:23 AM

hey guys i was wondering why my clutch is so stiff on my 04 yz450 and i was wondering if a hydro clutch would make a difference big enough to justify the purchase? and also the stock exaust is pretty loud can i save any weight getting a fmf q or pro circuit sparky? i only do woods and enduro type riding and race

• grayracer513

Posted May 16, 2011 - 11:35 AM

There were two different cable setups in '04, as they were changed mid year. The '03 type is like the ones used on WR's. It routes over the head, runs down next to the carb, and then into a steel "L" guide to run from the cable stop on the crankcase to the release arm. These don't work as smoothly at the later type, and if the cable is bad at all, it will really stand out as hard to pull.

The late '04 type ran the cable down the frame in front of the engine and then along the left side of the cylinder to a cable stop bolted there, and then to the arm. It's a much better setup.

There is a longer release arm available, but it's very difficult to find outside the GYT-R clutch kit, which is itself a little hard to come by for an '03 any more. If you get the complete late style '04-'05 cable, or if you have it already, the '05 release arm may help. The clutch springs may have been replaced with some "high performance" pieces, so you might try a set of springs from an '05 or '06, too.

But the big thing is probably the cable. Try that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jer500

Posted May 17, 2011 - 09:10 AM

awesome thanks im going hunting for the gytr kit! now how about the exaust?

• grayracer513

Posted May 17, 2011 - 09:39 AM

The stock exhaust can be repacked (just don't buy the packing from Yamaha ($$$)). And yes, you can save weight and get a much quieter pipe by using an FMF Q series.

• jer500

Posted May 17, 2011 - 10:07 AM

thanks i was thinkin the fmf q as well i do like the look of the stock pipe i just want a aftermarket system

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.