99 wr400

No replies to this topic
  • sempul

Posted May 16, 2011 - 08:54 AM

traded a DR-200 for A WR400 and i am having some issues with this thing. first off it has a YZ400 Carb on it which i am sure is causing me most of my problems. right not it is very hesitant when riding on the street where it just seems to cut out a lot. i just ordered a stock carb for it and i am hoping this fixes most of my problems. however i ran across a section in this forum while searching:

Model (400 - 426 - 450): 1999 WR400F
Timing (WR-YZ): WR
Main jet: 170
Pilot Jet: Stock, 45
Fuel screw (turns out): 2 out
Needle model/Clip position: JD red on the 4th groove
Airbox lid (on or off): snorkel removed
Pipe: FMF Powercore 4
air filter: stock
Altitude where you ride: 0 - 500 ASL
Temperature where you ride: ~60 - 70 degrees now.
Accelerator Pump Cover: stock with an after market diaphragm w/longer stud (squirts sooner)
Degree of satisfaction: Runs great! I snipped the gray wire, shortened the throttle stop, added a JD needle and a quicker shooting diaphragm for snappy no bog acceleration...The biggest improvement came after the JD triple taper needle, this bike rips now! Thanx JD

and had a few questions. first off what is this "grey wire" i keep seeing popping up? where is it and why does everyone cut it? second off i am very Carb stupid. very mechanically inclined but dont know crap about carbs. what are these JD needles and where can i get them? i am not trying to get too crazy with this thing and will be using it on and off road. just trying to get it running right. any help would be greatly appreciated. and drezel if you read this hit me up if you can help. i live near you and i know you are all into the Tards. thanks all!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.