WR426f accessory wiring HELP

3 replies to this topic
  • hurricane522

Posted May 16, 2011 - 04:26 AM

Hello everyone, writing in hoping i can get some advice or steered in the right direction. I have a nice 2001 WR426f that i am making street legal. I have purchased front and rear turn signals , a horn, keyed switch, and handlebar cluster switch to run turn signals, lights etc. My question is: where do i start? What wire or wires on my bike do i look for to hook into? can anyone show me or have a diagram to help me see how to do it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. i am a pretty decent off road mechanic but electronics have always been my weak area. I'm working on changing that. Thank you in advance.

• Pooley

Posted May 16, 2011 - 10:49 AM

There is a blue wire that is under the seat probably bundled with a black wire. They are right over the airbox, attached to the left side frame and have bullet connectors. Maybe that might work.

I do not run a horn or signals, but I have a high-low headlight, brake-light and and illuminated license plate holder. Basically, I have 2 switches on my bike. I use the stock handlebar switch to control all power to the headlight and tail light. It is just on/off. I added a switch (single pole, double throw?) to take care of my headlight for high and low that I took power from the handlebar switch.

From the blue line under the seat, I split into 2 wires, one to the brake switch, and one to the tail-light/license plate (I split it again here to have them illuminate at the same time). You could probably use this circuit to power a horn?

I think you should be able to tap into the line on the handle bar switch to get power. I think that is how I did things. It's been 8 or 9 years so I may be a little off in my memory :smirk:.

I am like you, a decent mechanic, but not well educated in electronics.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • trailhead2004

Posted May 16, 2011 - 11:31 AM

I have not dealt with a 2001 but I have done several DS conversions on '07 and newer.

What I know from my experience is this (relative to '07 and newer), but I suspect much of it is the same no matter what year bike. You will want to make or buy a wiring harness as the connections are not provided by Yamaha to connect any turn signals, horns, etc including switch assemblies.

On the newer bikes, the headlight and taillight are already set up for Hi/Lo beam and taillight/brake light, as applicable. I'm not sure if the older bikes have that or not but a quick look at the light assembly will tell you. If there are three wires at the connector it should be ok to use.

Not easy or cheap to make the harness. Not impossible by any means but if you are doing just one it could take a little time. Remember, you would need connectors to interface with your switch assemblies, which commonly go out to the signals, horn, etc. Just finding the right ones is an exercise all on it's own. You could always buy pairs of connectors for each switch assembly, but you still need tools like crimpers for the pins. Additionally, you will probably want several colors of wire and the correct gauge of wire so the harness is easy to troubleshoot and the wires are of an appropriate gauge. The only issue with too large a wire is that it makes the harness bulky in some spots.

I happen to work at a job where I buy a lot of this kind of stuff so I have an advantage over most people. I didn't even hesitate to dig into it when I bought my WR (2008) but it might be a daunting task for most.

Sorry if this info is not correct for an '01, but I'm just passing on what I know.

And just because I haven't done an older bike doesn't mean I won't. PM me if you want to talk. The hardest part will be getting a model bike so I can fit the harness (wire lengths, etc).

• S2P

Posted May 17, 2011 - 05:11 PM

try here this is where I got my info when I did it. There was a thread on here about it.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.