did i toast my clutch?

5 replies to this topic
  • SledParty

Posted May 15, 2011 - 03:38 PM

1999 yz400 riding in the dunes when I noticed it felt like my clutch. Was slipping. Turned around to go back and on the next hill I had nothing. No gear grabs and the oil smells burnt. Had to get towed out and I noticed if the bike was in gear it would lock up the. Rear tire. So I'm wondering which part of my clutch is now bad? Sorry sending this off my cell

• 05victorylly

Posted May 15, 2011 - 03:52 PM

clutch plates are probably shot. It still has some holding power when rolling the bike.....but with the bike putting power through it can not hold at all.

• SledParty

Posted May 15, 2011 - 04:38 PM

Ya it will drag the rear tire if its in gear but if I start it and throttle down in any gear it does nothing. Well... on the pavement I can walk it but ya it feels like the clutch isn't grabbing

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SledParty

Posted May 15, 2011 - 04:40 PM

When / why would I need to change the basket and pressure plate and springs?

• yz450fcranker

Posted May 16, 2011 - 02:32 PM

prolly a clutch kit with all the plates will do itfrom past experience springs dont take much damage start with a an investigation then go order new parts

• SledParty

Posted May 16, 2011 - 11:25 PM

Thanks, I'll tear into it this week and see what kind of issues I come up with. Need to get the bike fixed for memorial weekend. :-)

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.