03 yz450f kick starter gets stuck

24 replies to this topic
  • 66c10

Posted July 08, 2011 - 04:40 PM

ok i got my 2005 kickstarter assembly in today & there is no way this can work, the shaft that goes through the case is to big & the kicker will not fit on the splines so now i'm still wondering what to do...so the kicker on the 04 and up bikes has a bigger hole where the splines are? and the 03 is a one year only kickstarter :thumbsup:

The upper guide snaps in place. Replace it and you should be OK.

The '03 kick starter as originally issued was superseded, and can't be bought from Yamaha. The original part number is still listed by Yamaha (5TA-15601-00-00), but usually, when a counterman looks that up, his "book" changes up to 5XD-15601-00-00 automatically. Depends on where you look.

• Aka.Goose

Posted July 08, 2011 - 07:33 PM

Damn man, I'm feeling your frustration...
It looks to me like your correct part is still available from Yamaha (and plenty of online retailers) it's just that the part number is 5TA-15601-10-00 instead of 5TA-15601-00-00...And it does appear to be unique for just the 03 YZ and WR...
The cheapest I see it listed for is $170 at Honda East Super Store
Maybe see if TT can get it & price match...

It still seems odd to me that this would be the issue though, if something was wrong with it I'd think it'd just be locked up and/or not work all the time, as opposed to freeing up and working some of the time like it did for you...But I guess if your sure the motor turns freely without the kickstart assembly in you must be right?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 66c10

Posted July 17, 2011 - 07:16 AM

hey goose, yes it will turn over free with the kicker assembly removed...i put her all back together & cranked it yesterday & road it around the yard,i put the 10 oz flywheel weight back on & turned the idle up...ran fine for about 5 minutes then stalled & same problem as before...next step is check the crankshaft,it has to be this:banghead:what does it usually cost for a new crank install? i have split cases on hondas before with no problems...how hard is it to install on these yz450's?

• 66c10

Posted August 19, 2011 - 06:47 PM

goose you where right bottom bearing on the crank is bad...next week she should be going again...thanks

• Aka.Goose

Posted August 22, 2011 - 11:18 AM

goose you where right bottom bearing on the crank is bad...next week she should be going again...thanks

Sorry to hear man...Are you doing the work yourself?
Take pics, and keep us updated...
I'd recommend replacing all the bottom end bearings, and I'd personally replace the crank, but some people choose to have them rebuilt...
Good time to tear the bike completely down, re-grease all your suspension/wheel/steering bearings, clean the carb, etc...Check your cylinder, probably needs at least a hone and new rings, possibly resurfacing + new piston/rings...If after all that you can still afford it, it'd be good time for new clutch plates, check the basket for notches (if they're not too bad just file them down a bit)...And to have a really fresh feeling bike, replace the cables and break pads, bleed the breaks, etc...
What I've done for the last couple bottom ends is pull the motor, split the cases, and then throw it in a crate and bring it along with some burritos and beer to a more knowledgeable friend (with a nice hydraulic press) to press out the old crank and bearings, and press in the new ones (instead of dealing with the whole freezing bearings and cooking cases crap)...Plus I'm pretty clueless as to how exactly all the gearing goes back if don't leave it all bundled together, and he can put it all back in blindfolded, so that's a big help too...
Everything is fairly easy if you follow the manual...
Start doing some overtime, even if you do it all yourself, you're probably looking at a little over a thousand bucks to do it up right...
But afterwards it should last quite a while, with no worry about breaking down while out on a trail...:)

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.