Glen Helen National results

12 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 13, 2001 - 05:11 PM

http://www.amadirect...rdino/index.asp

• scottzx7rr

Posted May 13, 2001 - 05:46 PM

I had to say it but there are a few people on here that should be hearing some"I told you so's" when it comes to the YZ/CR battle. Tim ripped on the bike where Ryno could only muster a 5th/9th compared to the 2nd/2nd. Maybe it was just a off day for Ryno but the YZ/Tim show some great riding today.

------------------
Scott #410
Some Fear Racing "Cause if you don't have any you ain't going fast enough"
'99 YZ400F(Coming to a Theater near you soon)
'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR
"Doesn't hurt till the bone is exposed"
"When cut do you bleed green? I do!"
Pics

• bhunt

Posted May 13, 2001 - 06:23 PM

Just got back from Glen Helen and saw what the Honda can do. Since Ryno is a VERY competitive rider it was interesting. Here is what my impression was. FIRST off, remember that this is NOT a production bike yet, so it would behoove Honda to make a SERIOUS works bike to show it off. This might not resemble what you get from your local dealer.
It appeared to me that the Honda did pull on the YZ-f in the straights, but that the YZ-f outcornered ite CR-f.
Also on the doubles (tabletop). It seemed that Ryno always came up a little short and had to use his suspension while Ferry on the YZ-f landed perfect everytime. The YZ-f seemed to fly better.
I beleive that Voss was also running in the qualifiers on a CR-f but I don't remember him in the finals.
Certainly the fact that Ferry is more in tune with the 4-stroker could have been a factor in his taking first overall (2 second place finishes), but like I said, the YZ-f's are production and the CR-f may or may not actually be what you buy!

My 2 cents worth

Brian

• MXOldtimer

Posted May 13, 2001 - 07:07 PM

Not to take a thing from Ferry,I even had him wining races but you have to admit for the first race the CRF450 made a very good showing. Given seat time, Ferry vs. Hughes I'm shock Hughes did that well.

Doug

• bhunt

Posted May 13, 2001 - 07:45 PM

Originally posted by MXOldtimer:
Not to take a thing from Ferry,I even had him wining races but you have to admit for the first race the CRF450 made a very good showing. Given seat time, Ferry vs. Hughes I'm shock Hughes did that well.

Doug

Exactly, that's why I said "Certainly the fact that Ferry is more in tune with the 4-stroker could have been a factor", but I also want to stress that the Honda is NOT a production bike! Don't know how close that will actually be.

Brian

• MotoGreg

Posted May 13, 2001 - 07:52 PM

Ferry is the better rider of the two over a 30+ minute moto but boy did that Honda have some power. I don't know why Hughes dropped back in race two but he was leading on the first lap and was in second place in the first race.

I don't know which jump he was having trouble with but I was standing above the SUPER LONG jump right before they head into the Budd's Creek area and Hughes easily cleared the whole thing every lap. The only other guys making it consistently were Ricky, Ferry, Dowd (on a KTM520) and Windham.

[This message has been edited by MotoGreg (edited 05-13-2001).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motojunkie

Posted May 13, 2001 - 08:42 PM

Remember also, Ferry's bike isn't close to being a production bike either.

• Amador

Posted May 13, 2001 - 08:51 PM

you guys must keep in mind that Ryno has been testing on this bike the entire supercross season! He has had plenty of saddle time. The real shocker to me was the 125 class! where did all of the thumpers go??

• Ga426owner

Posted May 14, 2001 - 08:54 AM

Amador, great point, what happened to the baby thumpers????

• daveyg

Posted May 14, 2001 - 09:01 PM

MotoGreg,

I was probably standing right next to you. Are you talking about the step up double they were hitting before Yamaha mountain? (Where all of the 80cc guys couldn't make it up the hill?) I was watching Ryno fly over that thing and he was clearing it every lap. That CRF was impressive. Ferry wasn't making like he was. Ricky figured how to get over it, but he had to take the outside line in the corner before to get a perfect run. Some great racing, especially between Brown and Langstrom in the 125 class.

We all know that every bike at the track isn't production. That CRF looks pretty refined to me though. But, Ferry ripped it up out there. He was hauling and so was Ryno for a while. I mean, a 5th in the first moto for Honda is a great finish. Since I already have my deposit on the CRF, it was good to see that the pre-"works"production model is pulling some serious holeshots.

• yzernie

Posted May 14, 2001 - 02:19 PM

I was there too and watched the 426 and the 450 almost exclusively. I thought the 426 handled much better than the 450. On the straight after the first turn, the 450 would buck and kick and the 426 would not. I don't know if that can be attributed to rder or bike. The 426 looked much better entering and exiting the corners.

I also totally disagree that Hughs has to get used to the bike. He has spent alot of saddle time on that bike and should be familiar with its manners.

After watching the race, I am convinced that either Ferry or Hughes could finish in the top 15 on a clapped out moped!! :)

yzernie

• Flying_Fynn

Posted May 14, 2001 - 03:46 PM

Ryan is no doubt at home on the bike by this point, after all, he won the 4-Stroke national on the SAME track only 2 or 3 weeks before. I think he simply faded.

• MotoGreg

Posted May 14, 2001 - 07:55 PM

I was probably standing right next to you. Are you talking about the step up double they were hitting before Yamaha mountain? (Where all of the 80cc guys couldn't make it up the hill?)

No, further on there was a single jump with a big gap to a long table top. A few guys cleared the whole thing. What happened to Hughes in the second moto anyways? He was up there and then all of a sudden he came by one lap way back in the field and then I watched him climb his way back up to 9th by the end.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.