2003 YZF450 Purchase help needed

45 replies to this topic
  • mustangGT87

Posted May 31, 2011 - 12:16 PM

i just picked up a 03 45f for 1500 bucks.. not mint.. few mods done too it.. but i love it.. best bike ive owned so far.. and ive had Cr's..rm's..kx's... first yz tho.. i had the quad version for years.. ill never own another 2 stroke again... more then enough power

• Bobbed06

Posted May 31, 2011 - 04:42 PM

Well, I built the carb and all seemed to go well. I did notice that the Hot Start Bore had a minor pit in it once all cleaned up. I hope its OK and will not affect performance? I sanded it with 600 grit and WD40 and it chamfered and smoothed the bore very nicely. Only a minor flaw remains in the bore. I didnt want to risk enlarging the bore or making it out of round by over sanding it. If anybody has thoughts on this feel fee to chime in...

I will hopefully get some more time to work on it later this week.

I have my buddys 11 year old son this week. So hes been keeping me busy, I took him on a 15 mile Mountain Bike ride today (94 Degrees) in hopes of wearing him out. So far No Luck! He slowed towards the end of the ride but was ready for more punishment after he ate lunch and cleaned up.:smirk:

• Bobbed06

Posted June 02, 2011 - 01:20 PM

Dissassembled Suspension Linkage, swingarm and shock bearings for cleaning and regrease. The bearings all looked fresh and the collars were all still in great condition. I saw nothing indicating any more wear than a couple of hours ride time. Reassembled linkage and swinagarm and retorqued all pivots. I also dissassembled the rear brakes and chain guide for cleaning and lube.

Next up, I will cleanup the rear wheel, lube the axle, and reinstall the chain. That will complete the back half, at which point I will start on carb install, and subframe.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bobbed06

Posted June 19, 2011 - 08:55 PM

Well, ,I have finally got a chance to ride this bike after completely overhauling the carb with all new rubber and brass. Installed a new UNI filter and completely dissassembling the bike for inspection and found nothing indicating more than a hr or 2 riding time on anything. The original brakes havent even seated in yet and all bearings looked new in the linkage, with plenty of grease in them. The OEM tires are still on and have 90% tread on rear and new on front.

The bike starts easy as any 2 stroke I have ever owned and has way more power than I think I need. I have only ridden the bike up and down the street as I have been busy with other things but I am completely sure that this bike is the most powerful bike i have ever ridden to date and I have spent plenty of time on a built KX250 and many hours on a CR500 as well.

• tl1000rlt

Posted July 10, 2011 - 05:30 PM

How bout an update on this? Have you had the bike out to the track? I got my 03 late last fall and I love it, especially the 4 speed on the track. Its so easy to be in the right gear with these bikes.
I went through the bike over the winter since there is no riding in our winter weather. I am in the process of sending my suspension out for some work to get it suited to my weight. I cant wait to see the results of this upgrade, it was night and day on my street ride so I am sure it will be more noticable on rough terrain.

• Bobbed06

Posted July 10, 2011 - 05:45 PM

How bout an update on this? Have you had the bike out to the track? I got my 03 late last fall and I love it, especially the 4 speed on the track. Its so easy to be in the right gear with these bikes.
I went through the bike over the winter since there is no riding in our winter weather. I am in the process of sending my suspension out for some work to get it suited to my weight. I cant wait to see the results of this upgrade, it was night and day on my street ride so I am sure it will be more noticable on rough terrain.

No, I havent had the bike out since I verified it was tuned correctly after I overhauled the carb.

I was supposed to go riding with a buddy and he talked himself into a corner the night before while drinking. I dont have a truck and am waiting on a hitch and trailer to magically appear in my driveway but so far no luck on that.

So anyways my buddy was talking a bunch of smack about how good he could ride and the girl I was with finally told him that he had no idea what he was getting into cuz she had seen me bust off some gnarly Crusty Demons Sized jumps while out freeriding on my KX250 2 stroke. I guess he got spooked and never showed up the next day.

So, I havent had the bike out yet, and being in SE NC I dont prefer to ride in the summer anyways. So its gym, beaches, and the pool for the next 4-6 weeks. I am gathering funds as we speak for the hitch and trailer, so I hope to be situated very soon.

I havent done any suspension work to mine because I have been on a fairly strict diet and workout program and have lost 27lbs in the last 2 months. My race weight is 225-230 and I am still at 248 after the 27 lb loss. I have no doubt I will be able to win races in B class Motos on this bike, that is if I can hold up my end of the deal.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.