Ti axles on E-bay for $100?

5 replies to this topic
  • Chazmagnum

Posted May 13, 2011 - 04:24 PM

Doe's anyone know if we can trust such a product? It would sure be a deal if they were indeed ti. I don't know if there are different strenghts or quality or what.

• MaddogYZ

Posted May 14, 2011 - 06:16 AM

The Ti grade is 6/4, which is what I would expect it to be, EKO Racing is a legitimate company. Unless for some reason your axle is grooved out I personally would never spend the money for a Ti one.

• Mr. Neutron

Posted May 14, 2011 - 06:37 AM

I'm certain it's the same (or similar) ti alloy we use for some of the aircraft patrs we make where I work. But that doesn't necessarily make it a good alloy for an axle application......

If a person could find a modulus of elasticity chart for various metals, you might be able to compare some properties of Ti 6al-4v to whatever our stock axle is made of. Then, you might be able to decide if it's worth the price & etc..... It is a spendy way to save a few grams or ounces of weight.... I wonder if the average rider would even notice that small difference of weight while riding from that one item??? :thumbsup:

But that is a very good price for a ti axle, I believe......

For those interested is this sorta stuff, here's a "general" kind of chart of shear modulus & stuff. It's not overly specific; just very general, like I mentioned. But it can give a person a slight idea of one reason why engineers consider what particular alloy for what particular parts.... Cost isn't factored into this, so take it for what it's worth.......

The reason I even bring this up (and th original poster kinda did, also...) is that while it is possible to make an aftermarket part lighter than a stock part, they're not always "better" or "stronger" than stock.... But if it's good 6AL-4V, it'd probably work out great. Again, that seems like a good price for a Ti axle.....

Edited by Diesel Goober, May 15, 2011 - 05:46 AM.
Found a link I wanted to include....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • delmas

Posted May 15, 2011 - 05:08 AM

my guess is they are cheap because of this comparison

• Chazmagnum

Posted May 15, 2011 - 06:50 AM

I have seen them go for as much as a grand per axle. Axles are unsprung weight and a weight reduction here can have a bigger effect as apossed to sprung weight of the same amount. Of course I don't NEED this mod, but I want it. :thumbsup:

• MaxPower

Posted May 15, 2011 - 04:53 PM

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]I can clearly notice a lighter rear wheel with a standard tube tube and aluminum sprocket. A lighter axle could only help. Unless it bends of course [/COLOR]

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.