yz 426 to wr trans. swap

6 replies to this topic
  • houndog426

Posted May 12, 2011 - 08:41 PM

ok. my local dealer could not give me a straight awnser, so here it is..... can you put a wr trans. in a yz case? some said maybe, some said i dont know, can it be done. o ya the bike is street legal so thats why im asking.

• Birdy426

Posted May 12, 2011 - 10:19 PM

It certainly can be done. Search the YZ forum and you willo find all kinds of help...

• grayracer513

Posted May 13, 2011 - 06:47 AM

Yes. The WR426 parts will bolt directly into a YZ426. To change the gear set, you will need the 9 WR gears and the WR main shaft (the first gear pinion is cut directly on the shaft). The output shaft and all other trans components are the same.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • houndog426

Posted May 14, 2011 - 01:31 PM

someone said i would need the heavy flywheel also... but i thought that was just to keep it from stalling on the street.

right now im runnig 16/46 sproket setup will the wr trans. give me more on the street?

• ktmracer53

Posted May 14, 2011 - 04:29 PM

a 426 running a 16/46? is that not enough for road or what?

• grayracer513

Posted May 14, 2011 - 05:30 PM

someone said i would need the heavy flywheel also... but i thought that was just to keep it from stalling on the street.

No, the stator is bigger, so the flywheel has to be bigger too, or they won't fit together.

• houndog426

Posted May 15, 2011 - 05:11 PM

its not that its not enough, it just lugs in every gear when in town, and ive heard the WR, trans. has more streetable ratios.... but yes its plenty for the road as long as it has no stop lights.... but always open to sugestion and others experience, im a mechanic and im always looking for something to work on.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.