I love my WR but starting it???

24 replies to this topic
  • Garry_on_a_426

Posted September 21, 2003 - 08:41 PM

Gary,
Have you checked your cam clearances. When they wear, they get tight causing starting problems.

No, I havn't, The dealer said they want 60 bucks to check them and ~180 to adjust them.

How hard is it to check/adjust. The dealer said you have to break the cam chain to adjust it.

Not that I am against spending the 180 bucks, just seems like a lot.

I am mechanicaly incliend (cant spell cuz of beers tonight tho) :)

• Beta_Man

Posted September 21, 2003 - 09:33 PM

60 bucks to check them man what a rip off its very easy to check them maybe half an hour but to adjust them its still not that hard but a little more involved. You dont need to break the chain to adjust the valves what the heck is he talking about. I know you got to break the chain on the KTM's when changing cam's. :) 180 bucks seems like a lot to adjust them. I would try another dealer. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tctrailrider

Posted September 22, 2003 - 05:12 AM

Garry,
Its very easy to check the clearances. Your Repair Manual has good info.. Also read Motomans site here on TT about YZ Timing. This will help you become familiar with this part of the motor. To check remove seat and tank, then the cam cover, roll it to TDC and check. At TDC the lobes on both cams will point outward.

• motodad393

Posted September 22, 2003 - 07:41 AM

Hey Gary,
Visit my sons website www.motoman393.thumpertalk.com and look under the tech article sites and read about the BK carb mod. Also Mike Dean has a coil that really helps the 426's start much easier. Once you get it "tuned in" it will run awesome! :)

• Garry_on_a_426

Posted September 22, 2003 - 08:10 AM

Hey Gary,
Visit my sons website www.motoman393.thumpertalk.com and look under the tech article sites and read about the BK carb mod. Also Mike Dean has a coil that really helps the 426's start much easier. Once you get it "tuned in" it will run awesome! :)

Thanks, I was just reading it. I think I am going to try the blue wire mod. Being that I purchased the bike used, it would be prudent to adjust the valves, or at least check them. I just don't know if I want to do it first time without someone standing over me. My dad used to help me on my bikes/cars when I was a kid but he is not around to do it now.

I am going to call a couple of shops and see if they all want the same price. It actually is not too far out of line, I figured it would take 2-3 hours to do. 3 hrs @ 60/hr = 180 bucks....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.