XT 350 help?????



12 replies to this topic
  • dfb

Posted April 15, 2001 - 05:00 AM

#1

.....are there any XT forums around or is there anyone here that could help with some xt 350 problems????thankyou

  • Bill

Posted April 15, 2001 - 05:48 AM

#2

You might give it a shot. Advice for jetting a golf cart was given once :)

Bill

------------------
97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC.

  • dfb

Posted April 15, 2001 - 12:57 PM

#3

Originally posted by Bill:
You might give it a shot. Advice for jetting a golf cart was given once :)

Bill


OK,here it goes...2000 XT350..1100mi...#1 hard to start when cold.(can any carb mods. be done to help???..#2 when shifting from 1st to 2nd gets hung up in nutral quite a bit..will this get better in another 1k mi.or so???...#3 when warmed up and at idle, a couple of times the engine would just die, I'd give it one kick and it would start right up and would be ok the rest of my ride,whats going on here???...#4 is the xt350 engine durable..#5..may want to replace stock rear spring with somthing a little stiffer,..where is a good place to look???..T H A N K Y O U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Jemtec

Posted April 16, 2001 - 12:26 AM

#4

Your "getting stuck in neutral" all the time has to do with your foot position. Its rarely anything else. Try moving the Shift lever down 1 tooth. :)
Possibility that its an Ignition problem.
Check all connections. Particularly around the coil, and the grounding points around the frame. I heard that there was an issue with a ground on the bike.
I havent really heard anything bad about the XT350. Its an older design dating back to 1985. This is probably one of Yamahas most unchanged bikes. This is a good and bad thing. Parts are easy to get. And no particular year is better than another..so, a 1985 is basically the same as a 2000.
I still dont get all the badgering about the XT350..but It seems to be pretty common amoung 4 stroke guys. I just got my First new 4 stroke..A 2001 Wr426. I love it to death.
I dont know what else to consider, but you might pick up a service manual, and ask around your local Yamaha dealership and ask about your bike. Since alot of the guys have worked on the bikes over the years..I bet they can steer you in the right direction, where as I can only "guess". :D
Good luck

  • Greg_C

Posted April 16, 2001 - 03:27 AM

#5

dfb, Jemtec is right about the XT not changing. I rode my 86 350 to and from school my senior year in high school, that was over 10 years ago. I have recently looked them over in the bike shop, the only thing that changes is the paint, same drum brake in the rear, same air cooled motor. As far as question #4 the motor is bullet proof I never had a problem. It would probably still be in my garage if some ass hole didn't steal it. The one weakness I can tell you about is the snail chain tighteners. I came off a jump wrong and landed with the bike vertical. The weight of me and the bike sheered the aluminum notches off the swing arm making it impossible to tighten the chain. The first thing you need to do if you want more power is get a new pipe. I put a supertrap on mine and it was night and day, loads more torque. Good luck with your new bike I loved my XT almost as much as I love my WR today.

  • dfb

Posted April 16, 2001 - 02:09 PM

#6

Originally posted by Greg C:
dfb, Jemtec is right about the XT not changing. I rode my 86 350 to and from school my senior year in high school, that was over 10 years ago. I have recently looked them over in the bike shop, the only thing that changes is the paint, same drum brake in the rear, same air cooled motor. As far as question #4 the motor is bullet proof I never had a problem. It would probably still be in my garage if some ass hole didn't steal it. The one weakness I can tell you about is the snail chain tighteners. I came off a jump wrong and landed with the bike vertical. The weight of me and the bike sheered the aluminum notches off the swing arm making it impossible to tighten the chain. The first thing you need to do if you want more power is get a new pipe. I put a supertrap on mine and it was night and day, loads more torque. Good luck with your new bike I loved my XT almost as much as I love my WR today.


Thanks for all the info...was your ol' xt hard to start when cold also??????..I've tried different combos of choke & throttle and can't get the right system down...when I do get it started,I place a small shim between the throttle stop and lever to act like a FAST idle for a few minutes during warmup...I got spoiled with my old XL250s...would start 1-4 kicks and the choke had a built in fast idle.......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dfb

Posted April 16, 2001 - 02:11 PM

#7

Originally posted by Greg C:
dfb, Jemtec is right about the XT not changing. I rode my 86 350 to and from school my senior year in high school, that was over 10 years ago. I have recently looked them over in the bike shop, the only thing that changes is the paint, same drum brake in the rear, same air cooled motor. As far as question #4 the motor is bullet proof I never had a problem. It would probably still be in my garage if some ass hole didn't steal it. The one weakness I can tell you about is the snail chain tighteners. I came off a jump wrong and landed with the bike vertical. The weight of me and the bike sheered the aluminum notches off the swing arm making it impossible to tighten the chain. The first thing you need to do if you want more power is get a new pipe. I put a supertrap on mine and it was night and day, loads more torque. Good luck with your new bike I loved my XT almost as much as I love my WR today.


Sorry to here your XT350 got stollen

  • dfb

Posted April 16, 2001 - 02:14 PM

#8

Originally posted by Jemtec:
Your "getting stuck in neutral" all the time has to do with your foot position. Its rarely anything else. Try moving the Shift lever down 1 tooth. :)
Possibility that its an Ignition problem.
Check all connections. Particularly around the coil, and the grounding points around the frame. I heard that there was an issue with a ground on the bike.
I havent really heard anything bad about the XT350. Its an older design dating back to 1985. This is probably one of Yamahas most unchanged bikes. This is a good and bad thing. Parts are easy to get. And no particular year is better than another..so, a 1985 is basically the same as a 2000.
I still dont get all the badgering about the XT350..but It seems to be pretty common amoung 4 stroke guys. I just got my First new 4 stroke..A 2001 Wr426. I love it to death.
I dont know what else to consider, but you might pick up a service manual, and ask around your local Yamaha dealership and ask about your bike. Since alot of the guys have worked on the bikes over the years..I bet they can steer you in the right direction, where as I can only "guess". :D
Good luck


Thankyou.....I'll move that shift lever down

  • BigDog

Posted April 16, 2001 - 02:16 PM

#9

I had a 99 XT350 and it was always hard starting on the cold. Found best to give it full choke and NO throttle, then kick. In the real cold I would just aim a heater at it for a little while and it would start right up. Also, mine would fast idle with the choke on full.

  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 16, 2001 - 02:29 PM

#10

Bill,

I did get my golf cart jetted correctly though thanks to some advice on this site!! Some day I'll get a picture of the cart online. I swear you'll think it's the coolest cart you've ever seen!!
Khris

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

  • dfb

Posted April 16, 2001 - 02:42 PM

#11

Originally posted by BigDog:
I had a 99 XT350 and it was always hard starting on the cold. Found best to give it full choke and NO throttle, then kick. In the real cold I would just aim a heater at it for a little while and it would start right up. Also, mine would fast idle with the choke on full.


Yes, mine will keep running for a minute or so with full choke, then die....if I push choke in a little,it'll die anyway...when I use my shim it'll keep running without any choke.....the shim keeps it about 1500rpm when warming..I like to have my bikes idling without a choke before I take off riding, is that good for my engine????

  • Bill

Posted April 16, 2001 - 02:48 PM

#12

Ain't ThumperTalk and the guys cool :)

:D :D :D
Bill

  • Greg_C

Posted April 17, 2001 - 03:08 AM

#13

Dfb, As far as starting I don't think that I had a problem 1st or 2nd kick. The stalling I attribute to the choked up pipe. Some guys on this forum will disagree and tell you to keep the bike muffled down. When I had mine it would stall out crossing the smallest obstacle with the stock pipe. After mounting the slip on Supertrapp I could just ride a wheelie over anything in my way. An uncorked XT will not be half as loud as the uncorked WR so you will still be cool on the street.




 
x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.