Chain Slap?????

13 replies to this topic
  • jwatts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 03:41 PM

I own a 2009 wr 450 and i noticed alot of chain slap coming from the drivechain. Does anyone else have this? I have a brand new Renthal sprockets and a Gold series o-ring Renthal chain adjusted fairly well, Do i need to tighten more? thank you

• MANIAC998

Posted May 11, 2011 - 04:52 PM

I've noticed on my '06 that most of the chain slap comes from the swingarm buffer pad rubbing on the swingarm. Some people glue there's down to lessen the noise. Hope this helps. Maniac

• Baja trail Rider

Posted May 12, 2011 - 08:41 PM

On my 07 450,I glued the buffer pad and slid a pvc pipe over the sub frame next to chain.Works perfect.

• BajaFool

Posted May 13, 2011 - 11:38 AM

Your chain is probably too loose. This seems to be a common problem.

The procedure to adjust the chain is the same for all WR450F's. The slack dimension tolerance may be different between model years however. Check your owner's manual for the correct slack tolerance.

I'm sure that you are familiar with the procedure to adjust chain tension. However, just to ensure that one critical point is not overlooked, I will remind you that the slack tolerance dimension is NOT the difference between the measurement shown in the illustration contained in the Owners' Manual while the chain is at rest and the measurement of the chain while the chain is under tension. In the old days, when everyone rode Husqvarnas and CZ's, that was the way chain tension was measured. If you calculate the chain tension using this method, your chain will be too loose.

The correct way to measure the tension on your WR is to record the distance from the top of the bolt in the chaffing pad which is located on the top of the swing arm up to the BOTTOM of the chain. This dimension should be (for the 2008 WR) 48 - 58 mm or 1.9 - 2.3 in. Look closely at the illustration in the Owners' Manual to see my point.

I adjust my chain this way and I do not have chain slap and I do not have marks on the inside of the subframe or main frame near the countershaft sprocket.

• MANIAC998

Posted May 14, 2011 - 02:47 AM

I find it easier to adjust chain tension by removing the lower shock mounting bolt, and stuffing my toolbox under the rear tire. This places the swingarm level, which puts the chain at it's tightest position in the suspension travel. Then tighten accordingly. It's super easy, and works perfectly. Maniac

• wrwest

Posted May 14, 2011 - 09:23 AM

Chian slap = you ride 2 slow.

• jwatts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 06:11 PM

Lol,your prob. right,thanks boys i'll try some things

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • carlt828

Posted May 16, 2011 - 03:56 AM

I had a loud chain slap noise from my '06. It was so bad I thought it might have even been a cam chain. Fortunately for me it wasn't and I recently replaced the swingarm chain guide as well as the roller and now it's much quieter.

• trailhead2004

Posted May 16, 2011 - 11:38 AM

Definitely a loose chain. The only problem is that I sometimes have that problem while out on a long DS ride.

I also installed a TM Designworks chain guide and slider (top of the swingarm) and they are a little louder than stock.

trailhead:ride:

• byggd

Posted May 17, 2011 - 01:27 PM

A mod for the earlier modes was to remove the screws/washers holding the buffer pad to the swing arm. Place them upside down in about a 9/16 socket and tap them until the washer is cupped, then reinstall the screws/washers. The cupping helps hold the buffer/guard tightly in place. Worked great on my 02 and 03.

• MANIAC998

Posted May 17, 2011 - 05:28 PM

No washers on the newer ones, so you have to glue the buffer pad down with some silicone. Maniac

• Salinas_THumper

Posted May 29, 2011 - 09:50 PM

I just bought a used 05 wr450 and took it on a maiden voyage today. The sprockets and the chain look like they are in realatively good shape. The chain is set right. I am getting a lot of noise from the chain. Happens most when I am decelerating down hill and off of the gas and I hit the back brakes ( both with the clutch pulled and released). also a little bit in the beggining of acceleration. lot of slapping going on, I've only heard this kind of noise on bikes that had way to loose chains or worn out sprockets. DUMBFOUNDED

• SXP

Posted May 30, 2011 - 09:40 AM

I just bought a used 05 wr450 and took it on a maiden voyage today. The sprockets and the chain look like they are in realatively good shape. The chain is set right. I am getting a lot of noise from the chain. Happens most when I am decelerating down hill and off of the gas and I hit the back brakes ( both with the clutch pulled and released). also a little bit in the beggining of acceleration. lot of slapping going on, I've only heard this kind of noise on bikes that had way to loose chains or worn out sprockets. DUMBFOUNDED

Even though your chain might appear to be tensioned correctly, if it has uneven wear - tight in some spots, loose in others - you are going to get chain slap. Definitely do the "silicone under the buffer pad" mod as that helps muffle the slapping sound, but IMHO, a new set of chain/sprockets is a good way to start your "new" ownership experience with the bike. It will also be a data point for future troubleshooting of strange noises.

• bg10459

Posted May 31, 2011 - 04:25 PM

This is kinda what I was thinking. If you're on the gas, there is tension in the top of the chain and slack on the bottom. Vice versa if you're coasting, braking, decellerating. The WR has lots of engine braking and it's easy to put yourself into that situation. Not me, of course :smirk:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.