2000 WR400F Rebuild - Process Pictures.

214 replies to this topic
  • Valkrider15

Posted July 28, 2011 - 09:22 AM

Double and Triple check your timing. I rebuilt my YZ450 and swore I had the timing right. Bike wouldn't start. Checked and double checked and turned out I was off by 1 tooth. Fixed that and the bike started 1st kick.

I'd be careful in bumpstarting the bike since there is certainly a problem somewhere. These bikes should start with the kicker pretty easily when properly set-up. If the timing is off you can do some damage for sure.

• LIVETOSHRED

Posted July 28, 2011 - 09:26 AM

I highly doubt the timing is off as it did run before I took the motor out to powder the frame.

I just want it to start.

• AmnWatkins

Posted July 28, 2011 - 01:13 PM

When I bump my 426 I do it in 2nd pull both the decomp and clutch in. let out the clutch then slowly release the decomp, you'll hear it start to come to life and then you dump the rest of the decomp lever.

Good luck, I've been following this build and you did an amazing job. Can't wait to see a picture from it's maiden voyage.

• zlathim

Posted July 28, 2011 - 01:23 PM

When I bump my 426 I do it in 2nd pull both the decomp and clutch in. let out the clutch then slowly release the decomp, you'll hear it start to come to life and then you dump the rest of the decomp lever.

Good luck, I've been following this build and you did an amazing job. Can't wait to see a picture from it's maiden voyage.

I thought that if you pulled the decomp while the engine is turning, the exhaust valve would contact the piston.

I must be incorrect, if you can do what you are describing without damaging the engine.

• MANIAC998

Posted July 28, 2011 - 06:33 PM

If the decompression lever is only open slightly, it should be fine. But if the valve is held down to far, yes, you can have major engine issues! Don't ask me how I know!!! Maniac

• ZéPovinho

Posted July 28, 2011 - 07:06 PM

are you doing it right?
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=447989

check out the last 2 links of the FAQ that show you the right starting procedure

• LIVETOSHRED

Posted July 29, 2011 - 06:58 AM

Thanks everyone for the advise. I am going to try and get it going today. Found a decent hill by work and gonna wheel it down there and cross fingers I can hear this bad boy fire up.

I truly appreciate all the advice and insight guys. Thanks!

• zlathim

Posted July 29, 2011 - 07:15 AM

Thanks everyone for the advise. I am going to try and get it going today. Found a decent hill by work and gonna wheel it down there and cross fingers I can hear this bad boy fire up.

I truly appreciate all the advice and insight guys. Thanks!

I'm crossing my fingers for you! Good Luck.:smirk:

• Enduro Addict

Posted July 29, 2011 - 07:33 AM

I would double check to make sure all of your grounds are good. Did you scrape off all the powder coat down to the metal where all of your grounds are?

• LIVETOSHRED

Posted July 29, 2011 - 07:34 AM

There were no real grounds going to the frame beside the motor going in.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AmnWatkins

Posted July 29, 2011 - 12:01 PM

Sorry, I should have stated that I only pull in the lever enough to have the tire lock up. My B, my blunder.

• b3hr3ns

Posted July 29, 2011 - 07:29 PM

Man i really hope you can get it going. No homo but i kinda wanna give you a hug for doing something like this for a friend. Subscribed and am waiting eagerly for news on the bike!

• LIVETOSHRED

Posted July 30, 2011 - 11:09 AM

She started!!!!!

• redswr

Posted July 30, 2011 - 11:23 AM

She started!!!!!

:smirk: let's see that thing in action!

• Derwud

Posted July 30, 2011 - 12:13 PM

SWEEEEEEEEEEEETTT!!!!

Now pictures of you riding that beast!

• LIVETOSHRED

Posted July 30, 2011 - 02:29 PM

SWEEEEEEEEEEEETTT!!!!

Now pictures of you riding that beast!

No pictures unfortunately... I was alone and so excited to go for a ride, i was distracted.

So updates... I pulled the plug to confirm it was getting gas and sure enough it was. I put a few drops of gas down into the cylinder. I put it all back together, turned on gas and choke and kicked. She fired up the 2nd kick and sounded amazing!

I screamed, I cried, I rand and grabbed my helmet.

Ran great with the JD kit, smooth throttle response and tons of power. The pipes sound great and I couldn't be happier with being able to ride it finally.

I rode it twice for about 20 minutes and let it cool off. I changed the oil as who know what got in the frame during powder so I wanted to ensure clean blood.

After the oil change, she wouldn't start.I tried the same method I did when it started and no go. Not real sure what happened but I called it a day and came home to celebrate with some cocktails.

All in all, a good day!

• Derwud

Posted July 30, 2011 - 03:49 PM

No pictures unfortunately... I was alone and so excited to go for a ride, i was distracted.

So updates... I pulled the plug to confirm it was getting gas and sure enough it was. I put a few drops of gas down into the cylinder. I put it all back together, turned on gas and choke and kicked. She fired up the 2nd kick and sounded amazing!

Ran great with the JD kit, smooth throttle response and tons of power. The pipes sound great and I couldn't be happier with being able to ride it finally.

I rode it twice for about 20 minutes and let it cool off. I changed the oil as who know what got in the frame during powder so I wanted to ensure clean blood.

After the oil change, she wouldn't start.I tried the same method I did when it started and no go. Not real sure what happened but I called it a day and came home to celebrate with some cocktails.

All in all, a good day!

My start process is simple when cold, two twists of the throttle, choke on and kick. Just like old carbed cars, two pumps and twist the key.

• zlathim

Posted July 30, 2011 - 05:22 PM

All in all, a good day!

Oh Hell Yea!!

Glad to hear she fired up for you. I'm pretty sure it was because I crossed my fingers and all. Just sayin...

• Yamiryder

Posted July 30, 2011 - 05:27 PM

Sounds like you could be in need of a valve adjustment.

• LIVETOSHRED

Posted July 31, 2011 - 07:29 AM

Man i really hope you can get it going. No homo but i kinda wanna give you a hug for doing something like this for a friend. Subscribed and am waiting eagerly for news on the bike!

No homo man. This post made my day. Thank you bro.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.