Rinsing gas tank with water???

14 replies to this topic
  • ulumanati

Posted May 10, 2011 - 06:30 PM

Ok so I put the stock gas tank back on, and when filling up with gas, I saw the petcock or on/off switch was leaking gas from both bolts, and sure enough the o-rings were cracked bad, and so was the large plastic liner on top of the petcock that makes contact with the gas tank itself.

In a moment of stupidity, I decided to put black rtv sealant around everything and put it on. Then I remembered that gas eats through rtv so I took off petcock and liberally sprayed with brake clean til it all came off. I also sprayed the holes in the gas tank where the petcock goes into with brake clean then I rinsed everything with water, including the inside of gas tank.

Is there going to be a problem with the gas tank because of the water?? I am assuming I need to get a new petcock with new o-rings to make sure it makes a proper seal? Thanks

• ulumanati

Posted May 10, 2011 - 06:56 PM

I am freaking out cuz I don't want to have to pay a whopping $300 for a new gas tank all because of water and brake cleaner! So I plugged the two bottom holes of the tank with my fingers, filled the tank with gas, and then after covering the tank up top, I shook it like no one's business and swished all the gas around the tank. Will this help the water displace??

• davek18

Posted May 10, 2011 - 07:07 PM

should be fine, water is not a problem if it is displaced and dried fast. Rust is the enemy. keep it at bay. Sounds to me like you should have it rinsed out by now.

• ulumanati

Posted May 10, 2011 - 07:12 PM

should be fine, water is not a problem if it is displaced and dried fast. Rust is the enemy. keep it at bay. Sounds to me like you should have it rinsed out by now.

Thanks for calming my nerves a bit, what about the NON-CHLORINATED brake clean though..It says, for use to prime gasket surfaces, so is it safe to use on plastic gas tank like I did? I also sprayed the two plastic extensions that are on top of the fuel assembly, which hold gas and feed it down to the tube with the brake cleaner also..

I figured that rust could be my biggest enemy, but I thought plastic couldn't rust, am I wrong?

• grayracer513

Posted May 10, 2011 - 07:26 PM

No, plastic can't rust. :thumbsup:

If you want to get rid of water in a fuel tank, by a pint of alcohol (any kind) down at the Circle K and dump 2/3 of it into the tank and slosh it around some. Dump it out, pour in the other third, and fill it with gas.

Alcohol absorbs water and makes it so it will blend with gas and pass through and out of the fuel system harmlessly.

• ulumanati

Posted May 10, 2011 - 07:32 PM

No, plastic can't rust. :thumbsup:

If you want to get rid of water in a fuel tank, by a pint of alcohol (any kind) down at the Circle K and dump 2/3 of it into the tank and slosh it around some. Dump it out, pour in the other third, and fill it with gas.

Alcohol absorbs water and makes it so it will blend with gas and pass through and out of the fuel system harmlessly.

Thanks! Should I play it safe and buy a whole new fuel assembly, since I sprayed the two plastic things that transfer the gas with brake cleaner, and now they are hazy white? I would hate for it to let sediment pass through if it did weaken the plastic

• grayracer513

Posted May 10, 2011 - 07:35 PM

If the brake cleaner damaged the filters on the petcock, then you should replace it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ulumanati

Posted May 10, 2011 - 07:39 PM

If the brake cleaner damaged the filters on the petcock, then you should replace it.

Ya those are the parts I'm talking about, how can I know if they're damaged? They're just hazey white, and the pores are so miniscule that I can't tell.. ...

• grayracer513

Posted May 10, 2011 - 07:45 PM

Run gas though the valve backwards and watch how it flows. If it doesn't look right, pitch it.

• davek18

Posted May 11, 2011 - 05:41 PM

Sorry I jumped to the conclusion that the tank was steel, plastic cant rust and if the cleaner didn't dissolve the tank it will be fine.

• Octanee

Posted May 11, 2011 - 06:40 PM

i personally, take my tank off, empty gas out, and fill er up with water, and spray it out good, let it sit out in the sun for a while or a day if it makes you feel better, and usually by then she is dried out and good 2 go,

as far as alchohol, i would not recommend that, its flammable and it might lean out the engine??, im not 100% on that.....

• ulumanati

Posted May 11, 2011 - 08:07 PM

Thanks guys, I washed it out with water, let it dry and when I even re-used the petcock assembly and luckily no leaks and the bike started up great! The only thing is that when kick-starting it, the exhaust would backfire like a pop... Related??

• Octanee

Posted May 11, 2011 - 11:18 PM

Thanks guys, I washed it out with water, let it dry and when I even re-used the petcock assembly and luckily no leaks and the bike started up great! The only thing is that when kick-starting it, the exhaust would backfire like a pop... Related??

that pop has nothing todo with your gas tank, its moreless jetting, its normal to get it at times, i am not too sure on the details of it,i know in the snowmobile world it can mean a lean condition,

but in my dirtbike she pops some times hot when she ALMOST starts but dont,

its normal.... especially when you down shift and you get pops in the exhaust a bit, thats normal too.....

• Yamiryder

Posted May 12, 2011 - 06:33 AM

as far as alchohol, i would not recommend that, its flammable and it might lean out the engine??, im not 100% on that.....

I'm pretty sure Gray knows what he's talking about...the alcohol will be fine in the gas since there isn't much in there.

• grayracer513

Posted May 12, 2011 - 06:34 AM

The random pop out the exhaust while cranking and decel backfire are two totally different and entirely unrelated events.

The pop you occasionally get while cranking usually means that the plug is wet and failed to fire on the previous compression stroke, or even two, but then when the spark hits during the overlap, the pressure was off and it lit off the residual fuel while the valves were open.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.