Headlight on a YZ426

10 replies to this topic
  • YamahaDoc

Posted May 10, 2011 - 02:24 PM

Hey guys I would like to put a headlight on my bike...

This One

Posted Image

What do I need to do to get it hooked up?

Its an Acerbis one BTW

Edited by YamahaDoc, May 10, 2011 - 03:06 PM.

• Erich in az

Posted May 11, 2011 - 09:51 AM

I'm new to the scene, bt I have been looking in to it a bit myself. The options seem slim, but at the very least it looks like an aftermarked stator is required, or a swap for a WR stator (not a simple swap, it involves the flywheel, etc).

All I have been able to find when I looked are 35w stators in the aftermarket. Good Luck

• smdonald

Posted May 11, 2011 - 10:11 AM

i just bought a lighting stator off eBay for $69.95. simple swap if you have a flywheel puller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...fvi=1&viewitem=

• YamahaDoc

Posted May 11, 2011 - 12:19 PM

i just bought a lighting stator off eBay for $69.95. simple swap if you have a flywheel puller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...fvi=1&viewitem=

Thanks dude!

• Erich in az

Posted May 12, 2011 - 06:28 AM

Will you let us know how that works out? 35w seemed a little low on power. Are you planning to run a battery?

Thanks

EDIT: That headlight appears to be a 35w headlight. I would assume the stator puts out 35watts maximum, so I would expect a lot of dimming near idle, and if you add a taillight...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RickyStator

Posted May 12, 2011 - 08:30 AM

You are going to find that stator will run 20 watts at 5000RPMs.

• Erich in az

Posted May 13, 2011 - 08:04 AM

You are going to find that stator will run 20 watts at 5000RPMs.

Thanks for the heads up. Can you tell us why lighting stators are so hard to find for these? I noticed you don;t even list them on your site. I know there used to be an external 200w, and I think some 100w stators. Is it the age of the bike, or do they jsut not lend themselves to being wound with a lighting coil?

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted May 13, 2011 - 08:28 AM

The stock YZF stators are very small in size to save weight and reduce the power lost to the generation of electricity. The bike was built as a single purpose race bike, so all that the stock magneto will do is run the ignition. There simply isn't room to construct a reliable ignition system along with a lighting power source that has any capacity to speak of.

Your alternatives are to either replace the flywheel and stator with WR426 parts and modify the stator to suit the YZ ignition. The WR stator has much more capacity in stock form, being built to do this job, and can be rewound to be even stronger.

The externals were expensive, awkward, and unpopular, so they have been discontinued.

• grayracer513

Posted May 13, 2011 - 08:28 AM

The stock YZF stators are very small in size to save weight and reduce the power lost to the generation of electricity. The bike was built as a single purpose race bike, so all that the stock magneto will do is run the ignition. There simply isn't room to construct a reliable ignition system along with a lighting power source that has any capacity to speak of.

Your alternatives are to either replace the flywheel and stator with WR426 parts and modify the stator to suit the YZ ignition, or build a battery-only system. The WR stator has much more capacity in stock form, being built to do this job, and can be rewound to be even stronger.

The externals were expensive, awkward, and unpopular, so they have been discontinued.

• rockieman

Posted May 14, 2011 - 11:12 AM

I followed the instructions found in the "common threads"....
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=622555
When I did mine, I went with a Stator from Moose, quality was not great since it failed after one years use. I since had it rewound and have had no issues since. These guys also make a stator for the YZ, not sure what year your bike is.
http://www.steahlyof...ing-stator.html
Good luck!:thumbsup:

• RickyStator

Posted May 16, 2011 - 07:33 AM

The stator i mentioned putting out 20 watts was in fact a Steahly stator. We purchased one a few week ago just to test the output. The WR parts are the only way to go.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.