2008 yz450f wont start?

6 replies to this topic
  • nickmatthews726

Posted May 10, 2011 - 11:00 AM

So i went riding the other weekend and every time the bike got hot it would shut off. Eventually it wouldn't start at all. I checked the spark and there was none. So I bought a cdi box and that wasnt the problem. So before I buy a new stator is there anything I should check. Also is there more than one part to the stator or just the coil?

• TaKaI

Posted May 10, 2011 - 11:41 AM

Based on my research on the electronics of these bikes, the coils are massive culprits for ignition failure. If it started cold and got worse and worse I would bet that is the issue.

If you have a volt meter you should be able to see if there is power running to the positive wire on the ignition coil. If it won't start, then you will need an analogue meter to see the ignition pulses from the CDI box (or an oscilloscope but most people don't walk around with those) while the engine is being kicked over. If power is there while the engine is turning over you more then likely have a coil problem.

You may be interested in these if that is the case.... http://www.takai-rac...ition_coils.htm

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

• nickmatthews726

Posted May 10, 2011 - 12:30 PM

thank you so much I appreciate it. Ill give it a shot and let you know if that was the problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lumpy790

Posted May 10, 2011 - 01:30 PM

Just had the same problem with my 08.....died after taking it to Florida to ride the week before the Jacksonville SX. Picked up a stator off of feebay and now its 100%

• TaKaI

Posted May 10, 2011 - 02:22 PM

Just had the same problem with my 08.....died after taking it to Florida to ride the week before the Jacksonville SX. Picked up a stator off of feebay and now its 100%

If there is no power getting to the positive wire on your coil the stator would be the item I would pick up.

• grayracer513

Posted May 10, 2011 - 05:46 PM

Open the manual and run the resistance tests outlined there.

It's much more apt to be a stator than a coil on an '08.

• lumpy790

Posted May 10, 2011 - 07:57 PM

If there is no power getting to the positive wire on your coil the stator would be the item I would pick up.

The coil/plug cap was weard sort of melted so I replaced it 1st then the stator assy......then it fired 1st kick

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.