Float question

9 replies to this topic
  • charger1hazzard

Posted May 09, 2011 - 07:36 PM

my floats were almost all the way down wheen i checked earlyer. i originally took off my carb to check jetting.
Main 165, pilot 45. didn check leak or needle

My question is. if my floats were really low would it effect starting and also when i blipped the throttle about 1/4 throttle it would stall out and it when id go to give it gas quick to jmp say a log it would stall out. Would floats being pretty much all the way down effect my bike like this?

i thought it was jettingbut myjetting seems to be similiar to everyone elses. bike is a stock 2005 yz450f
:thumbsup:

• charger1hazzard

Posted May 09, 2011 - 09:03 PM

my floats were almost all the way down wheen i checked earlyer. i originally took off my carb to check jetting.
Main 165, pilot 45. didn check leak or needle

My question is. if my floats were really low would it effect starting and also when i blipped the throttle about 1/4 throttle it would stall out and it when id go to give it gas quick to jmp say a log it would stall out. Would floats being pretty much all the way down effect my bike like this?

i thought it was jettingbut myjetting seems to be similiar to everyone elses. bike is a stock 2005 yz450f

• William1

Posted May 10, 2011 - 02:54 AM

If you think the float level is off, check/set it according to the manual. A float too ow can make the bike harder to start and over all jetting a bit lean. But then so could a clogged pilot jet after sitting all winter.
Your bog the is the AP. Ensure you have a strong squirt and then do the various steps as out lined in the numerous posts regarding proper setup.

• grayracer513

Posted May 10, 2011 - 06:48 AM

Are you sure you are checking the float level correctly?

• charger1hazzard

Posted May 10, 2011 - 07:32 AM

i lookded at everything else how do i do the squirt level?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • charger1hazzard

Posted May 10, 2011 - 07:35 AM

45 degree angle and a 8 mm ruler i found a great thread and followed instructions..
so i think so. but they were all the way down almost level with the bottom of the carb

• grayracer513

Posted May 10, 2011 - 08:00 AM

The float level will affect jetting, yes. Low level (measurement over 8mm) makes it leaner, high level (measurement numbers less than 8mm) makes it richer quickly.

• William1

Posted May 10, 2011 - 08:06 AM

Carb off the bike, float bowl full of fuel, safety glasses on, outside of the garage, twist the throttle wheel as fast as you can. How far dos it squirt?

• charger1hazzard

Posted May 10, 2011 - 08:07 AM

so that could be why its harder to start and has the bog/ cut out? its runnin rich wich would be to much gas-air right? basically flooding its self out? nd my fuel air mixture srew was all the way in also

• William1

Posted May 10, 2011 - 08:12 AM

I mergerd the identical thread you created in the jetting area with this one. Please do not ask the same Q in multiple areas.
It makes those answering do twice the work and makes it more difficult for those good TTers that search for an answer instead of taking the lazy way out.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.